Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE WPSF 4170 VOWW. The hub unit, which is the bottom

I have a GE WPSF 4170 VOWW. The hub unit, which is the bottom of the tub does not fit snuggly over the transmission shaft, especially on the top of the hub, so when I tighten the nut hub, the spinning of the washer ends up always loosening the hub and tub, causing it to spin out of balance and control. Should the hub fit tightly over the transmission shaft or should there be a lot of play, e.g. 18th of an inch all around the top of the hub, just under the hub nut?? My guess is that if it does not fit tightly, it will always wiggle the hub nut loose every time the washer spins, and that I probably need to buy a new hub??

Marc
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you need to replace the agitator drive bell in this , Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these are cheap, about $7.00 @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-WPSF+4170+VOWW-%3d%3di1195917&PartID=1195917 these get worn out after a few years, replace this and you will be all set, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bryan,

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to understand this. How does the bell keep the tub from swaying back and forth when the machine spins? I did not see a lot of wear on the inside of the hub, but I guess you are saying that the wear on the inside of the bell, not the outside of the hub makes a loose fit over the hub and allows the extra play. Then you are saying that it is not the top inside of the hub (where the transmission sharft goes through) that wears out but the bell that holds the top of the hub firm? Sorry for asking maybe an obvious question to the inexperienced.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry I misunderstood, let me bring up some diagrams and take a look, I'll be back in a bit, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok I looked at your diagrams, and I believe you may have a main spin bearing problem or your ring split is worn and doesnt tighten enough. there isnt much else in the tub assembly, I'll include a link to the parts and diagrams for you, this link in blue will show you all the parts and diagrams for your machine, http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=230425 hope this helps, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Bryan,

I actually did replace the main spin bearing and it is good. The tub hub rests on this bearing and allows the tub to rock back and forth around the motor shaft. I think that either 1) that the bell is worn like you said and does not fit snuggly over the hub to hold it in place, or 2) the hub (bottom of the tub) is worn around the shaft and is thus not snug, or 3) the area on the hub where the bell wraps around the top of the hub is worn, not causing a snug fit. So I think that it may be the bell like you said or the hub (bottom of the tub) that is worn. Does that make sense and what do you think? I guess the question is what is supposed to keep the tub snug around the shaft so it does not move back and forth when it spins?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I believe you could be right about # XXXXX it may be worn or out of shape and doesnt fit tightly, I dont believe the bell will have an affect on the tub fitting snug. the part i pictured above is what the tub rests on thus this may be worn.