John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a Frigidaire Stackable electric washer dryer (FLSE60RGS1).

I have a Frigidaire Stackable electric washer dryer (FLSE60RGS1).   I am trying to replace the heating element in the dryer. All instructions I find are for stand alone dryers. Is there any way to get step by step directions on how to replace? I have the service repair manual but it is vague and I don't want to screw this up and have to have a repair person come out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Hi thanks for the question.

Are you sure the element is burnt out ?

How did you check to see if the element was burnt.

I can hep you replace the element. But you don't want to take it apart to find its not the element.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I used a voltage meter and tested the outlet and got 120 out of each side. A local repair person said if those were good then it would be the element. Got one on ebay for $20 and now I have (mistakenly?) removed all the screws at the back of the inside of the drum. I then removed the screws at the top of the unit to take the front panel off and that's as far as I've gotten. I've been searching for a step by step instruction because I didn't want to end up doing this by trial and error. Thanks!
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Well you can get 120 volts on each side and still not get the 220 volts.Check the two outside spades for the 220 volts.I am sending you all the info on the frigidair dryer.

Even if you don't have the 220 the dryer still has to come apart unless you can re install the inside the drum screws.The panel between the washer and dryer has to come off and the metal shield.then a small star screw on each of the end caps.The front end caps slide down a bit so you can remove the front.You have to disconnect all the electrical plug ins and set the front aside.

Take a look at the info I sent you and see what you think I will be here to help

Let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok so I see how to get the front panel off, very helpful - thanks. I had previously searched thru all the links within the one you sent. I still would like to know what to do in what order once I get the drum out. I can tell I need to take off the belt and remove the drum. Then the heat shield? Once I get to the element (provided it really is bad), what do I do with it first?

Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

once the drum is out take the belt off the motor pulley and use the belt to yank out the drum.

You see it fits in the back holder.And yank.Then once the drum is out you can install the heat shield with the back ball with the screws you removed.Then replace the element.

You bought the coil so you will see how it fits on the insulators. Don't stretch the element.If that back holder for the ball is worn replace it.Replace it anyway you don't want to do this again.If you need the belt routing I will send it to you.