Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I need to replace a 36 inch 30 amp cooktop but cannot find

Customer Question

I need to replace a 36 inch 30 amp cooktop but cannot find one in 30 amps. Do you know if they exist?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 7 years ago.
If it is 240 volts it is 30 amps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The installer told me today that its 40 amp, he didnt mention the volts.
30 amps is good for a cook top.40 amps is usualy used for a regular stove with a oven.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But the cook top states it is 40 amps. And the installer said he cannot hook up the 40 amp cook top to my 30 amps as it would be dangerous.

So I need either a 36 inch 30 amp cooktop, which the installer does not believe exists, or i need to go with a 30 inch which does come in 30 amp. If i go with the 30 inch i have to have the extra space in the counter top filled in for the extra 6 inches and then the counter top will need to be replaced. I prefer not do this is i can find a 36 inch 30 amp.

So my question was whether you know if a 36 inch 30 amp cook top even exists. I cannot find one online so I thought I would ask an electrician if it even exits.

Do you know the answer to this question?

To change the breaker is easy that is all you have to do.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have no basement, the installer said it would be very expensive to change the breaker.

So do you know the answer to my question? Does an 36" electric 30 amp coook top exist? Are they even made?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess they were made at one time, because I have a very old one in my house now, but cannot find another. The installer said he doesnt't believe they are made anymore. That's why I've come here to ask an expert before i proceed to install a 30 inch 30 amp and have to build in and replace my counter top.
The breaker costs about 40 dollars and takes five minutes to change.Iwill look to see what i can find.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm going to have an electrician come take a look based on your answer to see if he can change the breaker. But do let me know what you find out in case i cant change it. Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing from you again.
Have you looked at GE products.