John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I own a Amana side byside refrigerator model ARS2304AW that

Customer Question

I own a Amana side byside refrigerator model ARS2304AW that is nine years old. It will not freeze ice cream or frozen waffles ,but it does freeze everything else. What's going on? Can this be fixed reasonably or do I need to buy A new refrigerator?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  applianceguy replied 5 years ago.
Hi, can you hear the fan in the freezer running? Do you see frost on the back wall of freezer ? Pull unit away from wall and remove bottom back panel, is the fan running and is the unit clean undernieth?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi-There is no frost on the back wall , the unit is failrly clean around the condensor coils (I'm unable to vacuum everywhere because there is no room for the vacuum's nozzle) ,and the condensor fan is running. In fact, it runs almost constantly. I can't tell if the freezer fan is running, but I don't think it is.

I also haven't heard the condensor kick in for days. Everything except for the ice cream,rolls, and frozen waffles is frozen. Even the butter in the refrigerator side is hard.

I hope this information helps with the diagnosis of my problem.

Thanks.

Open the freezer door and push in the door switch, do you hear a fan?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I hear a fan blowing, but I can"t tell if it is the condensor fan or the freezer fan. In the freezer compartment cold air is blowing through the vents at all levels,and there is cold air blowing through the opening from the freezer side to the refrigerator side. The air,however, is not blowing very strongly nor is it cold. More like cool.

Then you will need to remove back panel inside freezer and look at the evaporator, tell me what the frost pattern looks like.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This may take awhile. First I'll have to find out how to remove the back panel; then I 'll need to determine what the evaporator looks like . Before I attempt this task, however, I'll need to empty the freezer of its contents. This assignment that you gave me will take some time. I'll get back to you.

Ok, put your hand on the compressor, is it warm?