Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hello, i have a GE washing machine , it is a 6 cycle 2 speed

hello,
i have a GE washing machine , it is a 6 cycle 2 speed heavy duty extra large capacity one. The agitator stopped working. do you have any suggestions as to how to repair it myself? and also, any ideas how much do you think it would cost to have it fixed by a technician?
thanks in advance
gloria
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you get me the model #? thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where do i find the model number? it is nowhere in sight....
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Order Parts
Repair Help
Security & Privacy
Newsroom
Contact Us
Site Map
Brands We Carry
Tell a Friend
Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.
LOCATE YOUR WASHING MACHINE MODEL NUMBER
First, here are some tips to help with your model number:
  1. Don't enter a dash if it's not required.
  2. Don't enter any blank spaces.
  3. Be sure a zero is not the letter O.
  4. Be sure a lower case L is not a 1.
  5. Kenmore models always have a 3 digit prefix such as 110 or 665, then a period, then more numbers.
Next, look for an aluminum tag--or a silver or white adhesive label. The model number may be printed or stamped onto the tag and it may be written in two different type sizes or styles.

You might find the tag in one of these places:

Top-loading washer only

• Under the lid
  • On the back of the control panel
  • On the lower-front or side of the main cabinet body

Front-loading washer only

• Behind the door
  • Behind or on top of the control panel
  • On the side of the unit near the front

Top- or front-loading washer-dryer combination unit

• Inside the dryer door, on the door frame
  • On the top of the dryer
  • On the side of the washer, near the bottom, front
  • Under the washer lid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a model wbxr2060v1ww serial number a2119342g
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok this is probably the problem its the drive bell for the agitator. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these strip and the machine wont agitate, you can get this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-wbxr2060v1ww-%3d%3di1195917&PartID=1195917 for about $7.00 , thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOW DO I CHANGE IT? DO YOU HAVE A STEP BY STEP GUIDE?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is locacted under the agitator, you need to pull the agitator off and take the bolt out and remove the drive bell, heres a diagram and the part you need to change is part # XXXXX on this diagram, hope this helps, by the way does this drain and spin? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I JUST TOOK THIS PART OFF, IT DOES NOT LOOK STRIPPED TO ME , WHAT I FOUND WHEN I TOOK IT OFF IS THAT ON THE RIM OF PART 323 , THERE IS A WIRE, I PULLED A LITTLE BIT OF IT AND I STOPPED MYSELF BECAUSE I WAS NOT SURE IF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THERE OR IF SOME FOREIGN WIRE( WHICH I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT GOT THERE AND FROM WHAT)GOT CAUGHT THERE. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT? IS THERE SUPOSSED TO BE A WIRE ON THE RIM OF THIS PART?
GLORIA
PS: I THINK THIS WILL BE MY LAST QUESTION :)
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no I dont believe from what i've done on these machines there is a wire of any sort there. could this be in a half moon shaped flat piece of wire? is it flat and silver? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I JUST REALIZED I FORGOT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ... SORRY, THIS MACHINE WAS JUST RUNNING A CYCLE AS WE WERE SPEAKING, AND THE DRUM GOES AROUND AND SPINS , AND IT DID DRAIN, BUT THE AGITATOR DOES NOT MOVE AROUND , SO IT DOES NOT REALLY CLEAN THE CLOTHES, JUST SOAKS THEM, RINSES THEM AND SPINS THEM. I JUST CHECKED THE WIRE WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND IT IS 4 HAIR PINS STUCK IN THERE RUSTED FROM WHAT IT SEEMS A LONG TIME, I GUESS I SHOULD TRY TO PULL THEM OUT AND TRY THE MACHINE ONE MORE CYCLE, MAYBE THIS IS THE CAUSE FOR THE AGITATOR NOT MOVING...
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
GLORIA
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I JUST REALIZED I FORGOT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ... SORRY, THIS MACHINE WAS JUST RUNNING A CYCLE AS WE WERE SPEAKING, AND THE DRUM GOES AROUND AND SPINS , AND IT DID DRAIN, BUT THE AGITATOR DOES NOT MOVE AROUND , SO IT DOES NOT REALLY CLEAN THE CLOTHES, JUST SOAKS THEM, RINSES THEM AND SPINS THEM.
GLORIA
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well I'm not sure if that would make it not agitate but having them in there isnt good, this drive bell is probably the cause though, 90 percent of the time on these it's the problem. it make not look striped but probably is. one thing you can do is leave the agitator and drive bell off put it on small load and watch the shaft ,if it agitates back and forth then you need the drive bell, if it doesnt move your transmission is bad, thats a huge job and not worth repairing, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.