The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Dear Tech, Can not remove freezer light bulb from socket;

Customer Question

Dear Tech,
Can not remove freezer light bulb from socket; The other one burnt out yesterday with a
cloud of smoke and a burning smell when the only lite light went out. We removed it and replaced it with a new bulb and it still does not light- the socket must have been damaged.
Since the light bulb on the other side is stuck, we are not able to try replacing that one- any ideas on how to remove a stuck intact bulb with out breaking it?
Please advise, L.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RIP ROBERT replied 5 years ago.
HICustomer

ONE THING TO DO FIST IS UNPLUG THE REFRIGERATOR BEFORE WORKING ON THE BULB. THE NEW BULB IS PROBABLY NOT SCREWED IN ALL THE WAY, IT IS REALLY HARD TO GET THE BULBS IN, ALSO CHECK THE CENTER POLE TO MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN. TAKING A HAIR DRYER TO HEAT UP THE SOCKET SOME TIMES HELPS, PUTTING THEM IN AND PULLING THEM OUT. IF YOU HOLD THE HAIR AND BLOW AROUND THE BULB THAT IS STUCK, THEN USE GLOVES OR RAG TO GRIP THE BULB INCASE IT BREAKS. WHICH IF IT BREAKS YOU'LL HAVE TO USE NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS TO REMOVE THE SOCKET. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. THANK YOU FOR USING JUST ANSWER.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, we have tried srewing it in tighter, and drying it complete. I did not want to break the bulb, so I was asking for a way to loosen it and I am aware of the needle nose pliers. Anyway, neither suggestion helps me get light now...
HI LISAGAVIZ;

USEING THE HAIR DRYER TO HEAT UP THE SOCKET WILL EXPAND THE SOCK TO HELP RELEASE THE BULB. THERE IS ALWAYS THE CHANCE OF THE LIGHT BULB BREAKING. YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did remove both bulbs and replaced with new ones and still no light- so what do I do?
HICustomer

WHAT IS THE MAKE AN MODEL OF YOUR REFRIGERATOR?

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kitchen Aid Model #KBRS36MHX01

As I mentioned, I replaced the bulbs, but no light... thank you

HICustomer

LET ME DO A LITTLE CHECKING AN I WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

THANK YOU,

RIP ROBERT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, as I originally said, after replacing the one that burnt out, it still doesn't work and now that the second bulb is out, I was hoping for atleast one to light up, but no luck... will wait for you to check
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you still checking for me? L.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Waiting for your reply...L.

Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Robert has asked me to step in and see if I can help you solve your problem.

Please click on this link.

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse.com/whirlpool-parts/Whirlpool-Refrigerator-Parts/Whirlpool-Parts-KBRS36MHX01/Whirlpool-Parts-58518.cfm

This shows a breakdown of your unit. Part #5 is the door switch. You will need ot drop the control consol to access it.

Just remove the screws on either side of the consol (part #8) and it should swing down.

You will need a volt ohm meter to test the switch with.

If you are not comfortable working with live electrical wires I strongly suggest that you hire a handyman to do this for you.

You need to see if there is 120 volts present at the switch. If there is on one side but not the other then the switch is your problem.

Considering thet the bulbs were so difficult to remove (most liekely from electrolisys) I will almost guarentee that the contacts in the switch are corroded and that is the problem.

Please post any other concerns here.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes! The bottom of the removed bulbs look as if they were corroded and burnt out. How do I take care of this?

A little sandpaper to clean the contacts with and then slather some dielectric grease on the new bulbs as you put them in.

The switch you will have to replace.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I use vaseline for dielectric grease? Why would I need to replace the switch- I don't believe that is a problem. thank you- will wait for your reply, L.

ABSOLUTLY NOT!!

Dielectric grease is non conductive.

Vasilene is very conductive and can cause you to be electrocuited or an electrical componant to short out.

If the lights are not working then the switch is the next componant in the electrical circuit, and very suspect if the bulbs had evidence of electrolisys.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances