Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore elite (model 795.77563600) with in-doore ice

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore elite (model 795.77563600) with in-doore ice maker. I can no longer open the ice maker door. I know some condensation had dripped down the edge and frozen and wonder if there is still ice inside the latch mechanism or if it has been broken. Lowered fridge temp and tried using a hair dryer on the area with no luck. Ice maker is no longer working and am motivated to get it going again. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well this could be a number of different things, one is this door shute has a heater in it, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=but since you have melted any ice with a hair dryer I dont believe this is an issue, this however may be. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is you soleniod that opens the shute, these will rust up and not work anymore, here are some diagrams that show the part, you need to check the soleniod. let me know thanks ,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I may not have bene clear enough. The chute on the outside of the door seems to work fine. It is the door to the ice bin on the inside of the fridge that is stuck. On the inside of the door is a panel that says "On-board ice maker. Open for direct access to ice maker and bin." That is where the problem is. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok sorry, this should be the setup you have, does the latch assembly move but the door just wont open? let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, this is the problem area. The handle that I am supposed to pull on moves. I can see the latch, and it does not move. Condensation had dripped into the crack between the door (of the ice bin) and the inner door of the fridgerator. I chipped out the ice, raised the fridge temp for two days. This is the area where I used the hair dryer. Even took the ice bin door off of its hinges but I still couldn't get the latch to disengage. Maybe I need more hair dryer...I don't know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if the handle moves and the latch doesnt most likely the latch is either still frozen or the latch is broken, the problem is I cant find they whole latch assembly in one piece, looks like you need to buy the whole door,! the best way to tell if its frozen though would be to remove your food and open the freezer door for around 24 hours and let this completely defrost, but you need to put your food in something in the meantime, maybe if you have a second refrigerator you can do this, then if it opens take the hair dryer and try to completely dry up any water left over in the latch assembly area, it sounds like theres still ice preventing the latch from operating, let me know ,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Hey, the "green accept" button is not real obvious. Where is it?

jv
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you should see it now, if you have further questions after you accept just leave the question open and you can come back and ask, thanks,Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Problem fixed. The schematic you included showed me how the latch worked. I was able to pop it free of a very thin layer of ice (strong enough to resist the somewhat flimsy latch but thin enough to be broken free with a little pressure from a steak knife. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome, well wishes, Bryan