Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

We have a Kenmore elite washer.Oasis HE.The lid is locked and

We have a Kenmore elite washer.Oasis HE.The lid is locked and will not open even if I push the lid lock reset button. I have unplugged the washer and washed again to see if the lock releases, it does not. On the washer the clothes clean button is lit when the washer is complete. When I push the lock reset button the locked lid lights up.

Please advise,
Marci
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hello!
Are there also any error codes currently being displayed?
Please give me the complete model number and I will help you.
Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no error displayed. I cannot open the washer to get the model #.

Marci
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
OK. I can help you without it. This sounds alot like a failed lid lock assy. It MAY also be the main control though, slightly more expensive but you SHOULD still be under warranty for the electronics. Check the manual carefully in the warranty section. The lid lock assy uses magnets in the lid itself to activate a small switch in the lid lock assembly. I have enclosed a picture so you can see it.
The quickest, most direct way to gain access to your load , if that is what you are after is to get a ****STIFF**** putty knife and insert it into the area between the top panel and the front panel, roughly 5-6 inches from each corner and push the INSANELY tight spring clips in while pulling up firmly on the top panel . This is the tightest set of spring clips on any Whirlpool machine !(Thats who made you machine if you did not know.) Do one side, either have someone hold that end up or put something in the newly created gap to keep it from clipping back down.Then do the other and you can lift the entire top panel up. Its semi-hinged so you can rotate it back, pull your load out and see the lid lock assembly.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
You may also try to get the machine into an automatic test mode to see if the computer can force the lock to open. Here are the steps :

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode
(plugged in with all indicators off, or with
only the Clothes Clean indicator on).
2. Select any one button (except POWER,
START, and STOP) and follow the steps
below, using the same button (remember
the button): Press and hold this button for three seconds, release it for 3 seconds, press again 3 seconds, release 3 seconds, press again 3 seconds.

If this test mode has been entered successfully,
all indicators on the console
are illuminated for 5 seconds with 88
showing in the Estimated Time Remaining
two-digit display.
If indicators do not display as described
above, the press/hold/release
procedure above may not have been
performed within the time frame necessary
for successful entry. Repeat step
2 to ensure this was not the cause.
3. The program then checks for saved fault
codes:
If there are saved fault codes, see Diagnostic:
Saved Fault Codes.
If there are no saved fault codes, all
indicators on the console will momentarily
turn off, then turn back on with 88
displayed. After 5 seconds, the Automatic
test, below, begins.
Let this test run its course, make a note of any error codes. Anything that begins with a "C" during this test is just telling you which phase of the test the control is on, disregard these unless the diagnostic program does not advance . ALL functions, electronics and sensors will be tested .If you want to advance past a certain test, press the same button you used to enter the test briefly.