Randy
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.
18559950

My mothers GE refrigerator keeps making a clicking sound (periodically)

Customer Question

My mother's GE refrigerator keeps making a clicking sound (periodically) and when it does this it seems to defrost. Her repair man has already soaked her for over $300. and the problem still exists.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 5 years ago.
Hi
From your description it may be a component on the compressor called an overload.What part was the replaced?If you would give me a model number,I will try to assist you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX and the serial # XXXXX XXXXX
What part was replaced? Also is this a us model?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I made a mistake on the model number. It is GBS20HBSBWW and it was bought in Montana. I believe the part that was replaced was the fan on the condensor.
I am not finding that model number.Is it a side by side with electronic controls.Where does the clicking come from?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The clicking sound is coming from the back. Once again model #GBS20HBSBWW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a refrigerator with a bottom freezer.
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I have found your model number. Let me ask the clicking sound is coming from behind your fridge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The clicking sound is coming from the back of the fridge.
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
Okay, you need to pull out the back of the fridge. Down at the bottom of the back there will be either a cardboard or metal cover to protect the compressor and fan. Remove that cover.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay--remove that cover and do what?
Expert:  Randy replied 5 years ago.
Okay now you will see a black cover on the compressor, take that off. When you get that off you will see a little black thing and a little white thing behind it. Make sure you do this while the fridge is unplugged. Take off the black thing but be careful to not break the post it plugs on to. Remove the wires connected to it making sure you takle note of how it is wired. The black thing is a start relay. Shake it and if you hear any rattling that is bad. A new relay for your fridge will run about $50. The white thing is an overload. It will click if the relay is bad to shut off power to the compressor to protect the compressor.
Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.