Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Samsung refrigerator model #RS2578BB which Ive only used

Customer Question

My Samsung refrigerator model #RS2578BB which I've only used for about a year and a half has just stopped cooling. It's a very warm day, and the freezer temp says 72, and the refrigerator says 61. It's running, no odd noise, and a filter indicator light is on but it has been for a long time. I pushed power cool for both freezer and refrigerator, but haven't noticed a change. I unplugged and replugged it, but no change yet. Is there something I can do or check to get it going
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
if you can remove the panel on the back bottom and check to see if the compressor is warm or cold and let me know I'll check some causes, pull the refrigerator away from the wall and you will see the panel at the bottom, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok...I will try to do that and I will let you know if I'm successful...how do I reach you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,
I pulled it out and removed the panel, and the compressor is warm...now what?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
did it feel like it was running? also was the fan next to the compressor running? blowing air?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

The fan is running and blowing cool air, and the compressor is running.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok is the fan inside the freezer running? you will probably need to remove the back panel (inside the freezer) and get a look at the frost pattern on the coils behind the panel if the fans running.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,
OK< I did that...things are pretty iced up..should I turn off fridge and let it melt? Would a hairdryer help or is the hot air bad?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok thats a defrost problem you have, yes a hair dryer will work faster once you get it defrosted we need to find out why the defrost system isnt working. most likely its the bimetal defrost thermostat, let me know when you get it defrosted. thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

...ok, hours later, I finally melted all the ice on the coils and the freezer is working. Thank you so much. However, the refrigerator is still at 68 degrees. Should I do something to get it going? I can't imagine what could be wrong, any ideas?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well check the air flow from the freezer to fresh food section and make sure the vents going into fresh food section arnt iced up, you may have missed that ,sometimes get get fiulled with ice and the air cant flow. they should be in the back inside freezer comming down into fresh food section and there is a return also. one other thing is to make sure the light is going off when you shut the door. sometimes the switch doesnt go in all the way and the light stays on warming the refrigerator. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

Do I have to take off the back panel in the freezer again to check the flow vents to the fresh food side? Or do I check something on the refrigerator side of the unit? I noticed vents in the back of the fresh food side also. I checked to see that the lights are going off completely when the door switch is off, and they are. Recently, I have experienced the fresh food side freezing, and now it's too warm, but I can't control it. Also, there is a filter in the back of the refrigerator which is supposed to be changed and I have never done that..could that be a problem? And where do I get one? It's called an "Aqua-Pure"

Thank you so much Bryan...I have never fixed a refrigerator before so you are guiding me very well! Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kathy, sorry I just got home from work, is the fan in the freezer running? sometimes you need to open the freezer door and push the light switch button in and see if the fan is running, you shouldnt need to remove the back cover again until we see if the fan is running, if its not thats why your having trouble, let me know , i'll be off and on tonight for a while, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan...
I thought I just replied to you but I'm not sure you've received it....I'll try again
Feezer fan is running, and freezer works perfectly...outside door reads -4 degrees for freezer.

Fresh food side is cool...outside door temp. reads 58 degrees, inside thermostat says 38 degrees..don't know if either one is correct. It's better than yesterday, but not real cold.

My question is ...Is there something I can check to see if the fresh food side is cooling properly?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well not really, which one do you think is closer the 38 degrees or the 58 degrees? 38 is what it should be, also it takes sometimes over 24 hour to stabalize you may need to let this go until tomorrow, also the freezer temp. is great so that means the compressor is working properly, I think your outside door temp. is incorrect.you can go to Lowes and pick up a digital thermometer and check it with that they are accurate. you will need to change this part, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=in order for this freezup not to happen again, its the thermostat that control the defrost, heres a diagram to show you where it located,, part # XXXXX on this diagram, thats about all I can do for you, if I've helped please press accept and feedback and bonises are appreciated. P.S. heres a link to buy the part, click the blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-DA47-10160H-%3d%3di1488655&PartID=1488655 thanks again, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

Thank you so so so much...I appreciate your help...you saved me!   Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome, well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

It's been a few days since we have communicated, I have ordered the part you recommended and I am waiting for it to arrive. However, in looking over the diagram you included, and the information on the thermostat I ordered, I am concerned that it could be the wrong part. I have a Samsung refrigerator, and the form says it's for a Maytag. Also, in studying the diagram, I don't recognize where it would fit into my refrigerator. The panel shown in the diagram is a different shape than mine. Is this a universal part that you know will work, or do we have to rethink this?

Please let me know...the freezer does seem to be icing up again so I think you are right that I need a new thermostat...just want to make sure it's the right one.

Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well ocording to the model # XXXXX (sumsung) is made by maytag. if you look at the site i gave you its says sumsung made by maytag. check this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-RS2578BB-%3d%3d but on the Sears site it says Sumsung, click here, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?pop=true&modelNumber=RS2578BB&pop=flush then go to sub components and click on freezer compartment, this shows the same part and diagram./ Part # XXXXX on the diagram and the sumsung part #

DA47-10160H which shows up on the other site as the same part, click here, http://www.repairclinic.com/Appliance-Parts?s=t-DA47-10160H-%3d%3d confusing I know but this is suppose to be the bimetal thermostat for your refrigerator, Maytag makes allot of refrigerators for Samsung, I'm going by what the part calls for, thanks,Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

Thank you so very much! I just didn't want to receive it and struggle because it wouldn't fit. You know your stuff!!

Kathy
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no problem, good luck , thanks,Bryan