Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Whirlpool cabrio top loading washer has recently begun to

Customer Question

My Whirlpool cabrio top loading washer has recently begun to make a scraping sound (seems to be coming from the right side) during the spin cycle. It will not spin properly most of the time it says UL or uneven load, even though the load is fine. It was recently moved to clean underneath and put back in the same place. I promise I did not beat, thrash, crush, crumble, or otherwise mistreat the unit during the movement. I also made sure it was level after returning it to its usual place. I'm fairly handy with Home Improvement, repairs, washing the dog, etc. Can you help me?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
can you get me the model # ? thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sure wtw6600sg1
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok this problem is most likey something under the basket drive in this, this is a very conplicated machine to work on not to mention expensive, this diagram shows the basket drive assembly, there may be a bad bearing or something stuck under the inner tub assembly, this is not something I recommend attempting yourself. your best served calling for a tech to repair this, sorry i wish i had better news, well wishes Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you sure there's not something I can try? Good service techs are hard to come by around here. Also I forgot to mention previously (my wife reminded me) that we occasionally find water in the floor as well (It does not come from the hookups it comes from somewhere underneath the washer) It leaked the same way when we first bought it (approximately 2 years ago) for a few times and then never happened again until now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well that could be if there is something under the inner tub its wore a hole in the outer tub, the other thing to check is make sure its not your drain pump. there maybe something in that causeing the noise and possibly the pump is leaking. heres a diagram of the pump assembly you can try taking this appart and see if theres a problem with it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go ahead and remove the "agitator" (not that the cabrio really has one, but I dont know what else to call the piece in the center of the drum) and look down into the bottom of the outer basket through the small slotted holes in the inner basket. There I found a pair of cotton shorts resting partially over what I believe to be the drain hole. (that would explain the sporatic nature of the water leak) I used a coat hanger to pull them up through the slot. I'm afraid that it might be too late for the bearings because I still hear a mild scraping noise, but at least it will get us by until I can find a good repairman.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok, sorry I had to go out, I figured you had something under the agitator (for lack of a better word) I hope I was at least some help to you, I wouldnt ettempt to take it appart any further though, your right get someone to check that scrapping noise, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I also have a problem with my dishwasher. Maybe you can help me out?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
what going on with that?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has operated fine for two years. Now the top rack will not clean properly. We get food residue on the dishes in the top rack. I have had a repair tech. here twice. The first time he said we needed to use powdered detergent instead of liquid. The second time he was here he said my hot water was not hot enough (note it worked fine for two years) Neither time did he really examine my dishwasher (needless to say I'm not calling him again) (See what I mean about getting a good tech around here?) Anyway, finally I decided to watch it cycle very closely, It looks like the bottom spinner and the middle spinner are operating fine. I noticed that at the end of the entire operation the top (small) spinner hadn't moved at all. It is not stuck as it moves freely when I touch it. The dishwasher is a frigidaire model number PLD4375RFC0 SN: TH71499647
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok heres the diagram of the pump and motor assembly, how much water is in the bottom of the machine just after you fill it. let it fill and then open it up and tell me how much is in the bottom, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
very little...1/2 inch maybe?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I believe your water valve is bad and not letting enough water in. this should have about 2" of water in it. valves get clogged inside and only let a little water in therefor you dont get allot of water pressure when the machine is running and theres not enough to get to the very top spray arm, this is the water valve, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=its located behind the front kickplate on the bottom of machine. hope this helps,thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think you just might be my new best friend. I'll take a look and see. It will be a couple of days though as I have a long shift at work tomorrow. I'll get back to you tuesday/wednesday. okay?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
thats then, thanks Bryan