Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My Kenmore 80 series washing machine agitates but wont spin

My Kenmore 80 series washing machine agitates but won't spin or drain.
Hi this is Bryan, you need to replace the lid switch in this. Lid Switch part#(NNN) NNN-NNNN$23.40 - Click Image to Closethis is located on the right side where the little post on the lid goes through a hole in the top of machine, this is a very common problem with these machines , they are plastic and break easy, usually from letting lid down to hard. this has either broken of the machine or the inside of the switch has failed. you can get this for around $24.00 @ , this part is made by whirlpool. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How hard is this to replace? Can it be done by an amateur or should I call Sears?
dont call Sears they will charge you probably over a hundred dollars, there are two screws that hold the control panel where the timer is at the top of machine remove these and pull the control panel forward a little and then tip it back and let it lean against the wall the you will see the plug comming through the top of machine for the lid switch unplug it then on the sides on the back of the cabinet you will see two gold colored clips honding the cabinet to the back panel take a screw driver and stick it straight down in the front of the clips and pry back , this will release the cabinet then you can lean entire cabinet forward. there are two screws holding the switch to the cabinet take those out and the switch will come off. replace the switch and put it back together in reverse. you can do this. this is what the gold clips look like, Part 669300 Part 669300 well wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
your very welcome , if you get stuck just come back and I'll see if I can assist further , thanks Bryan