Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Sears side by side refrig defrost cycle gone bad (3-5 years

Sears side by side refrig defrost cycle gone bad (3-5 years old) model 106-57022601 Serial ST35999139 looks lile I need a "defrost board" or computer board. Read might be covered by Sears recall. Whats your advice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

this is the control board, Part 844415 this may be the cause of your problem, but it could also be the bimetal defrost thermosat, I need to step out for about and hour and will return and and check for recalls for you, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

stopped making ice and couldn't hear engine noise - called only local tech who came out and I gladly paid $65 service call plus parts and labor. Said it was defrost board and he'd have to order the part should be here this am part cost approx $65 call last night from his office (not him but secretary? ) part is $130+ and labor another $60. Got on web this am and most expensive part by SEARS is $80 so they marked it up that's ok too but on sears recall complaint site there were many people with this same problem and someone said SEARS has a recall on the defroster board and all you pay is service call and they pick up parts and labor this made me upset so I thought I'd ask you what you would say or do the tech hasn't called to come by with the new part yet

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well the part is always less money online , as far are Sears goes be careful they hit you with extra charges allot so be careful , I would keep calling the company you had come out and tell them you need this finished, you already paid them for the service so why lose that money, also Sears says its under warranty but since you had someone look at it already they may say the recall doesnt aaply now once they get to your house,(beware) they do this all the time, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan