rob clement
rob clement, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experiance working on all major brands of appliances

maytag gas range model t2 takes a long time to pre-heat. Is

maytag gas range model t2 takes a long time to pre-heat. Is this a thermostat issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  rob clement replied 7 years ago.
Your most likely problem is a bad igniter.Do you smell any gas since it has failed to heat properly? A faint wiff of gas is a good indication of a bad igniter.If you have access to an ampmeter, you should have an amp draw around 3 to 3 1/2 amps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, we do smell gas more recently. Not always consistently, but enough were this is probably the cause. would the ampmeter tell me if I need a new amp. Meaning if it's not drawing 3 to 2 1/2 amps?
Yes,If the igniter is drawing less than 3 to 3 1/2 amps the gas valve will flutter open and closed and you will get a gas smell.Usually when it ignites the gas the smell will go away.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this a job I can do ( a novice) or call in a tech/maytag guy?
Basically,if you remove the oven bottom and put a clamp on ampmeter on either wire going to the igniter and check for amp draw that will tell you if it is bad.Keep in mind that the fact it "glows" means nothing.It has to draw the proper amps in order to open the gas valve.This is a very common problem in any gas range.