Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

My maytag Neptune washer will not enter the final spin cycle.

Customer Question

My maytag Neptune washer will not enter the final spin cycle. It is not the lock mechanism and I am pretty sure it is not the uneven load switch in the front. I do use HE laundry soap.....help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Does the door lock light come on? What are the model and serial #
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Maytag neptune Model MAH5500Bww Serial # XXXXX

Yes the door lock engages and lights up once locked.

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
If the machine doesn't sense the drum is emptied of water it won't go into the spin cycle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So is there a sensor that needs changing? The drum is empty though.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Does the washer spin in the earlier part of the cycle? The water level sensor is what I am talking about.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it runs perfectly through all the cycles it just that last one in the final 6 minutes that it won't enter the "high" speed spin.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Do you hear the washer entering the spin mode during the cycle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is spinning and then when it speeds up the machine stops and then retries to level the load and then goes through the whole process again. Its just that final high speed spin it won't go into. If I have only 1 towel or 1 pair of jeans in the wash it will go through the complete cycle but any thing more than that and it just keeps stopping.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
I would check the out of balance switch on the bottom front of the tub. Take off the "goalpost" front of the washer and check this switch. I have had to replace this switch several times for this problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have replaced that switch before however this time it does not seem to the same problem I am wondering if there is a sensor with the shocks at the back or something?

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
There is a sensor, you can see the wiring going to one of the shocks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I tell if it needs replacing? Is it common to need replacing?

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
No, it's not common. If you look at the schematic inside the console you can see if the switch is supposed to have continuity or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will look, any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
If the control doesn't sense the water is drained it won't spin. This was common in earler models, but not in your series.
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you know of any other suggestions please forward them on to me. thank you.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
OK