Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

how do I reset my defrost cycle on my refrigerator

Customer Question

how do I reset my defrost cycle on my refrigerator?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, Myself and the other Experts are anxious to help you, it will help to have the make and model number of the appliance we are talking about and any other info that you may think is important that you did not list in your original post to us. We are working hard to make you happy...

Warning, If you opt me out from helping you, I will not be able to respond back,,,,Use this option only if you do not wish to communicate with me any further...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

this is a maytag model

model # XXXXX

Does this Help?

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
do you want to put it into defrost or take it out of defrost?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It needs to defrost. The freezer is cooling but the fridge is not getting cold air from the freezer and the vent frosted over.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

to put it in forced defrost

Forced Defrost Mode:

The forced defrost function is performed using the refrigerator display and keypad. Enter the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the following sequence of events:

1. Hold the refrigerator door light switch closed.

2. Press the Refrigerator Temperature Down keypad 3 times consecutively.

Note: The 3 keystrokes must be consecutive and within 10 seconds

3. Release the refrigerator door light switch.

4. The control will display Fd to confirm entry into the Forced Defrost Mode

5. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Refrigerator Down key once more. The unit is off and in the Defrost Mode.

Note: All control functions will be turned off (Compressor, Defrost, Evaporator Fan, the damper will remain in its current position).

6. The control will default to the short run period

the complete tech sheet can be downloded here

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=bf4f8e6b-a433-4453-91a4-514f5fef2b62

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long should it take to see the fridge start cooling again?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
that would depend on whether the defrost system is bad or not, More likely than not you have a bad fan motor that blows the cold air into the fresh food section or a bad defrost thermostat, both are common problems with this model... the defrost cycle should last about 35 mintues if it is the only problem...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i tried this yesterday and the defrost cycle did not work. when i close the door to the fridge the systems come back on. should i leave the door open?

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Yes closing the door turns off the defrost cycle when you force it. I think your problem is going to be a defrost thermostat and nothing more than that I would hope.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is that something I can install or do I need to call a professional?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did a thermostat check and it says it is shorted.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Is the fan running inside the freezer, these model are known for bad fan motors in the freezer causing the fresh food section to be warm