RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  TECHNICIAN AND TEACHER
19031375

My C646-8088080 Kenmore Fridge motor makes loud clunking noises.....this

My C646-8088080 Kenmore Fridge motor makes loud clunking noises.....this just started about two months ago. Fridge works. However, is this the beginning of the end?
Is this a noise when it shuts off??? One or two loud clunks???
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know if it is shutting on or off...It's a loud noise that seems to signal one or the other. I'll be sitting in another room and here this great Ker clunk, clunk.
Just once, pretty loud.
OK there is actually a motor on springs inside the compressor and when the springs get weak or broken the torque of the motoir causes it to hit the case of the compressor. KLUNK! This indicates that somewhere down the road the compressor is going to die. It could be today, tomorrow, next year. There is no way to predict it. I would recommend getting ready to go shopping.   PLEASE do not shoot the messenger! THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So this is the warning sign and then one day it just breaks? No fridge at all?
Absolutly, one day it will just quit! The cost of replacing a compressor is very high and if the machine is more than 7 or so years ols an new one may be the way to go....be advised that most compressors are warrenteed for 5 years from new, but not a replacement!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, I've been expecting that.

Thanks