RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  TECHNICIAN AND TEACHER
19031375

I have a 10 year old sears/craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener

I have a 10 year old sears/craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener that works great. One of the bolts holding the rail worked loose, the rail openend up and the chain came off the sprocket. I reattached the bolt and the rail seems fine (straight). I reattached the chain and tightened it until the chain was 1/4" off the rail as the instructions dictate. I did all this with the door closed and the innner and outer trolley in the closed position. When I go to operate the opener. The trolley moves a few inches closeer to close, pauses and comes back to where it started.
remove the chain and allow the motor/sprocket to cycle! You have to figure out which direction it would turn to make full up or down. Easiest way is to find full down and then reconnect the chain then with the trolly full down and the door not attached! I hope this made sense!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your advice was correct and it fixed it. I wish figuring out if it was all the way closed or all the way open weren't trial and error.
Sorry there is no way to figure that out except looking at it and figure rotation vs. movement
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thats what I assumed. The other tip to suggest is to make sure the traveler is hooked up and the wire is tight before seeding the chain in the motor mount.