william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

What is the CL error on the GE profile top load washer?

Customer Question

What is the CL error on the GE profile top load washer? (WPGT9150) and how do we fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.
what was it doing when you got this fault code? thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When we press the power button it shows the 50 minute regular wash time for about 2 seconds then reads CL, any attempt to push any buttons just beeps but doesn't change anything, we've attempted unplugging for 5 minutes without success.
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

ok there is no cl code its marked as ci to be honest with you i would bet a tech in there to be sure which component is bad

If a status signal comes back from the motor controller that a current limit has been breached,

the unit will return to standby mode and display either "CA" for average current limit trip or

"CI" for instantaneous current limit trip.

Average current trip occurs if there is a 2 second average of current draw greater than 5.55

Amps at the motor windings.

Instantaneous current trip occurs if there is a spike of 26 Amps instantly at the motor windings.

This may signify problems with the drive motor, thermal protector or motor controller. Overloading

the unit may cause this problem.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not able to press stop or clear it just beeps and I am positive it is CL they are in caps. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

take the lower access panel off and there should be a tech sheet in there with the codes on the tech sheet if your not getting the correct amps to the motor its not gonna start

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There isnt a front access panel. I'm going to go ahead and have a service tech come out. This unit is 3 months old. Thanks anyways
Expert:  william replied 7 years ago.

if i would have known that this was still under warrenty that i would have told you to call a tech in cause anything that you do will VOID your warrenty and these parts are $$$