Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

I have a Maytag msd2756de, It quit cooling the other day and

I have a Maytag msd2756de, It quit cooling the other day and my wife had someone come look at it and was told the compressor was bad. All the fans are running and but there is a relay clicking every 45 seconds or so from around the compressor. Does this sound right? Is there something else I should check. We have had an ongoing problem with the defrost in the frezer practically since we bought the thing and have had it worked on several times both under warranty and now out. Unit is around 8 yrs old. Thanks, Rick
It may just be a faulty relay. There was a recall on many of those models, you should go to and check to see if your model is affected. The relay on the recalled models needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Which relay, the overload assy? Trying to narrow it down
Yes the relay/overload assembly on the compressor. Did the tech test the compressor by replacing the part?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My wife said he was only here for maybe 5 minutes. He slid the refridge out and looked at the back out it and listened to it and said the compressor wasn't trying to kick on, and it was probably bad and it would cost at least 700 buck to fix it. Now take into acount that the unit is out of warranty now and the tech is employeed by the company that we bought the thing from in the first place. We paid around 1500 bucks for this thing, so it is in their intrest to sell us a new one instead of fix this one.
Have you checked on the recall yet. What is your model and serial #?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My model number is XXXXX serial number is XXXXX I checked the Maytag website and it had a list of serial number prefixes and suffixes. There was a MS prefix on the list. I also emailed Maytag directly, they have an area on there web site dedicated to just refrigerator recalls, but havn't received a confirmation yet.
Your model is not on the recall list. The part # XXXXX the relay is 61004918
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks So much for your help, I'll give this a try. Rick
Sears has the part or you could a local parts store