John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Ignition button for gas hob wont work ( wont even click )

Customer Question

Ignition button for gas hob won't work ( won't even click ) but rings can be lit with match. Helpfully I don't even know which hob it is ( as it was already there when I moved in and the instructions offer no further clarification ). The hob sits over a Whirlpool AKP 511 which is built in. I can't see how I would be able to access the lighter to replace it / battery or whatever
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
do you know who makes this is it a range? if this has a bottom drawer on it pull the drawer out and look on the right or left side of the frame for the model number
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Thanks very much for your reply. Before you bother with me any more, could you please make sure that my deposit has been re-instated. I didn't think that anyone had looked at my question at all and a week later revoked my deposit - I hadn't seen your email. I have emailed the team asking for it to be re-instated. Apologies.

The gas hob is also made by Whirlpool, and would have been installed in 1996 - 4 gas rings with the controls to the right-hand side, all in a straight line. The hob has been fitted into the work surface and there is a gap of about1cm between the top of the oven beneath and the underside of the work surface housing the hob, but I can't see any kind of model number on the hob. The hob itself has no drawer beneath it. To be honest, I don't know how I could get to the underside of the hob without taking out the entire oven ( and the plinths etc in front of it ) to replace the ignition, as I can't see how I could lift the hob off.

On the right-hand side of the oven door-frame is the model numberAKP 511/AV , but I suspect this pertains to the oven only, and not the hob above it.

Sorry I can't elaborate much more.

With thanks and best wishes,

Caroline