Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

The freezer coil in our 9yr old Kenmore (made by Amana) refrigerator

The freezer coil in our 9yr old Kenmore (made by Amana) refrigerator has a block causing it to freeze only half of the block. The freezer temporature is between 5 and 10 degrees. I'm told it will be $800-$1000 to rempair. Is there a possibility if we turn off the system for a day or two to totally defrost that the blockage might clear?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
it will clear but if the frost is only 1/2 covering the coil then its a sealed system problem and eather a weak compressor or a freon leak in the system and it will be a high price to fix it ,, sorry for the bad news / larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what's th eclog? an impurity? my thought is that if it's something that can break up and go back into the "solution", it could buy us a year or two. Am I dreaming?
if you defrost it the frost will come back but it should have a thin frost pattern oven the conplete coil and most likely you have a freon leak and it will only get worse so without fixing it you have only a short time left cooling ,,, hate to wake you up from the dream ,, but before i put money out on trying to fix it i would put the money towards another unit / larry