John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Hello, I have a noisy rumble in my GE Eterna Dishwasher (Model

Customer Question

Hello, I have a noisy rumble in my GE Eterna Dishwasher (Model EDW6000L00WW). It occurs about 20-60 seconds after starting....I can open the door to stop the cycle and it stops, and when I reclose...sometimes it resumes, and sometimes it remains noisy during cycle. Have any ideas on what to do?   The DW is about 3 years old and has not been serviced in any way so far.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
so this only does it when its washing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, when the system is turned on, the water flow can be heard for about 30-60 seconds, then something kicks in and the water begins spraying.

I have just taken off the gentle "s" shaped rotating sprayer, the white circluar clip that the sprayer sets into, and the grey component that is the next item (about 8 inches in diameter, with an internal mesh surface and an arm extending backwards into a hole in the base of the DW. I noticed some residue in the interface between the grey part and a tube running to the back of the DW that extend upwards....there is a hole, with a semi-circular rib around it in that tube, and there was white residue there. I cleaned up all the parts that had a LITTLE, not much at all, dried film soap residue....and started the system. it seems quiet. is it possible that this little build up could promote the rumbling noise?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
did you clean the mesh screen also? have you ever done a vineger wash on this? thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Update, noise did start again......it seems to be more prominent with the bottom rack 'in' the washer but there but there is no sign of any contact and it does not seem like a contact issue with the rack...
My guess is that there is more 'load' on the sprayer with the rack (due to the water spraying into something and creating resistance, and the noise occurs.....is there something known that goes on in that rotating area that the 's' shaped sprayer goes into? does not sound like grinding but it does seem to be a consistent issue during rotation.....just got your reply, will look at that now...hold on...I did not vinegar wash and did not need do. it was very clean and water poured through very easily... I will check once more while you are reading this :)
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

take the spray arm and see if it wobbles if this wobbles it may be hitting the basket during the wash cycle

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=330824&ModelNum=EDW6000L00WW&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=2&Selected=00121803i05&Position=3&mfg=GE&Type=&Mark=3

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks William...the spray is quite secure and is not wobbly...there is maybe 1/4 inch play at either end... is not hitting the basket. The screen on the filter is pristine clean.

The hose on the back of the white assembly that enters the bottom surface of the diswasher is well secured and the little plastic clip is intact (I have seen some information suggesting that causes an issue in some systems).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what about the upper sprayer, it is possible that it can make noise? the hose from the back of the assembly in the bottom of the dishwasher feeds that top sprayer, right? if I run the system without the filter and the S shaped spray arm in the bottom of the system, the noise does not seem to occur. And.....water is not being pumped up there right?

What do you know about noise from the upper sprayer?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

do this for me take the baskets out and try to run a cycle do you still here the noise?

yeah its possible

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That arm seems really loose up top, there appears to be a screw and a washer (maybe integral washer) and the whole mini spray arm has about a 1/16 of an inch movement at the core not the ends, but just where it is mounted...should it be this loose?

I will try taking the upper basket out....seems like a toughie to remove...hold on
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
take that to arm and spin it how does it spin? besides round and round LOL
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
lol...spins real freely, but has the chance for some wobble (assuming water would be pushed through it)....when I got the top basket out and I reinstalled the filter white retainer and bottom spray arm, I closed the door and turned system on.   after 30-45 seconds of water flow, the motor kicked in a noise started up.. alittle different than the past noises, but still, something odd. I suspect it might be different since the middle sprayer ( on the underside of the upper basket) is not engaged and water is probably spurting out of the middle of the tube going up.....

Should I snug up the screw in the center of that top spray arm...to spin freely but reduce the minor, but little wobble that exists?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a white circular ring that holds the filter on that I have noticed (by me taking on and off) the two of the four little plastic arms have broken (not the noise issue, but I will need to replace this) can you tell me what this part is called?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
tighten up what you can but can you take the top spray arm off and out then try it see if the noise is still there with this out ill tell you what this is a good one LOL did you see it on that diagram i sent you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not see any drawing....

I tried tightening and it seems by design, it needs to have some slop. I did not want to overtighten and strip the threads. I took it off and there is too much noise of just the water dropping out onto the bottom of the dishwasher to tell. it does not have the same 'bad' noise, but it does not help me for the other noise....

Put it back on, started up...30-45 seconds later same thing..noise is there, not as bad as usual, but suspect it is that the middle sprayer is not causing as much pressure.... seems like it might be the upper sprayer wobble.

I am going to take off the filter again (which forces water to upper sprayer) and see if it goes away.

Please resend the drawing if you can
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hmmm last post seemed to disappear.
I took off filter ran system, still noisy, seems like the upper unit is not the issue.

water feeds in quietly and drains quietly, but noise occurs when maybe the ciculating pump kicks in???

I have worn out my 18 dollar deposit and I am wondering a few things...is this better addressed by someone in person, is this something you could continue to support 'on-line', is there a way to add to my deposit so that you get more value for you time?

I did get the link thanks for sending...
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
you can ask as many questions as you want to you havent worn out anything yet i seen post go up to 50 were only a 1/4 of the way there LOL im trying to see if this noise is in the motor or the wash pump this only happens when its washing right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes....feeding water and draining is quiet...pump kicks in and it is noisy
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
do you feel like taking this apart? or would you want to call a tech in probally be faster and quiker then what were doing but i like working with you not to sound funny or anything LOL
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not too worry about sounding funny lol... I know what you mean.

I can not get into this deeper today as I have a ton of other things to address.

I am cool with fixing it myself and cool with working with you (not to sound funny or anything LOL) but there remain a couple issues...
got other things to do, parts places are probably not open on Saturday....

What are your next steps in your mind...Due to a number of conflicts, I am not sure that I can commit the time to take apart until this coming Friday (assuming it is a couple hour adventure)..can you give me a little glimpse into what I might be getting into.....

I have plenty of tools and have solid competence, and aside from getting frustrated at the designers of the items many times, I can work around challenges but want to do it right (ie, no bubble gum and duct tape).

Let me know your thoughts....my wife hates the noise but I can maybe get her to hold out for the next several days (to avoid getting someone in to fix it that would probably pay for a new one :)
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
did you veiw that diagram i sent you im thinking the noise is either in the motor itself or possibly the pump but wont know until you dismantle this what do you say you wanna give it a shot ill be here just put in a request for me i dont have any gum or dut tape LOL i dont do things that way im a investigater i want to know where that noise is coming from its driving me nuts now LOL tell me what you think?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah, I looked at it. seems like it is in the ciruclating pump more than the sump...so it either is the motor...or the pump part of the motor right below the lower spray arm where I assume water is being driven...a few questions
1. how do I put in a request for you
2. when do I release funds...when we are done?
3. are you often accessible? are there better hours than not?
4. will I need to pull the washer out or can I do the next phase of investigation with the washer in place? (looking to see how much I am committing myself to LOL)
5. would there be any parts I would be better off getting in advance (that I could return if not used)...thinking about seals, or most likely things to fail....I could order them, get them this week and then hook up this coming Thurs/Friday/Sat depending upon how we line up.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

MY GOD YOU ASKED ALOT OF QUESTIONS LOL

dont buy anything we dont know what the problem is yet LOL you can release it when were done the funds that is thats up to you some people dont pay even though i worked with them and spent time doing whatever its part of the job LOL thursday probbally no good for me i have to go sit in with 8 doctors around me in a meeting im a patient and they have no clue where my pain is coming from and its not in my head LOL i think if you go to the front page of this site it will ask you who do you want and just find me and they will let me know that your looking for me im on here 12-14 hrs a day 7 days a week

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my god you answer alot of questions!

OK william, I will look you up as long as my wife does not lose patience :) I will shoot for Friday as I have the afternoon off.
I also have to see if there is any service waranty still on the system (my wife will confirm) we may have done something when we bought these with the new home we built in 2005.

sorry for all the questions.
good luck on thursday.
Kindly, Jim, the "GE Washer Issue Guy"
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
thanks for your thoughts i appreciate that just tell your wife to hold off you know put your foot down LOL ahh dont do that ok friday sounds good as long as they dont put me in a nut house after thursday ill be here LOL i will see you then have a great weekend and a week later jim one more item can you call me BILL thanks!!!!!!!!!