Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My dryer stopped heating up. It still tumbles, but never times

Customer Question

My dryer stopped heating up. It still tumbles, but never times out. HELP!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 years ago.
Hello, what is the brand and model number please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

GE MODEL# XXXXX

<p>Thanks. The very first thing to check is to be sure you have 220 volts to the dryer. It will run wih one fuse blown but not heat. If the fuses or breakers are ok it will most likely be the heating element on this style. To get to it you need to lift the top, pull the front and remove the drum. You will need a tester. How much do you want to do yourself? If it's not the element you will need to test the thermostats and timer. Dave </p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked at the outlet and checking with the common I get 120 from either side rt/lft of the outlet, I get 0 with the common and the "L" shape port at the bottom of the outlet. But I get 120 using the combo of the other legs w/o the ground. Is this correct?
Sounds like you have a 4 wire plug? If so there should also be 220 between the 2 straight blades rt/left. The other reading you got are good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yep, I got 240 so voltage coming in looks good, How do I check the heating element? You said I needed to remove the top, looks like its pressed on...

It has been a long time since I took apart a GE so I will let someone else help you from here.
Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks!

Good luck