Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Hello. I have a GE Profile side-by-side refrigerator/freezer

Hello. I have a GE Profile side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (PSI23SGPA) whose internal freezer temp is 32 and refrigerator temp is 48. The compressor does not seem to be engaging -- but an internal blower motor is working. When I open the freezer and depress the door switch, cold air is produced -- but obviously not cold enough. Have unplugged unit, thinking that might help, but it didn't.

Compressor was working yesterday -- I heard it cycle on and off.

Any ideas!

Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Is there ice build up on the back wall of the freezer?

Warning, If you opt me out from helping you, I will not be able to respond back,,,,Use this option only if you do not wish to communicate with me any further...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure -- I have not pulled out the unit. We've had this GE since July 2004 -- no ice build-up has occurred. What could cause the build-up after so many years of trouble free operation? Just wondering.

Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
you should only have to open the freezer door and look on the back wall of the freezer to see ice or frost buildup, the defrost heater, defrost tstat, or timer can cause this... this is why I ask...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just checked back wall of freezer, as you suggested -- and I see no ice or frost build-up. While I had the freezer door open, I pressed the door switch and again noticed that cold air was coming out of the port.

Thanks for your help -- and patience!
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Now we need to pull the unit out and remove the bottom cover on the back, make sure that the fan motor item 650 is spinning and that item 730 is cleaned well, this will cause this type of problem... This is the condensor on the unit to remove the heat from the freezer compartment to make it cold, if air is not moving accross these coils the freezer will get warmer than normal....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info. We will do what you suggest. Just one more question -- I'm asking your opinion: How likely do you think this clean-up will work? Is it possible that the compressor, cooling fan or motherboard are bad? Or do you think dirt buildup is the cause.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Very likely this will fix you,,, the only problem is if the fan is not running it could be a bad fan motor or a bad motherboard, I find it more times than not it is the motherboard when the fan stops working, You can check for voltages to the fan motor which should be approx 9 to 12 volts, if you are getting this then the motor is bad and if the voltage is lower then the motherboard is bad,,,
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech