Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

my upright freezer is very hot on the outside except for the

my upright freezer is very hot on the outside except for the door
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, Myself and the other Experts are anxious to help you, it will help to have the make and model number of the appliance we are talking about and any other info that you may think is important that you did not list in your original post to us. We are working hard to make you happy...

Warning, If you opt me out from helping you, I will not be able to respond back,,,,Use this option only if you do not wish to communicate with me any further...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the model# XXXXX the make is GE JUNE OF 2006
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.

item 330 in the diagram is a coil that needs to be kept at least 3 inches away from the wall and kept clean, the heat you are feeling is an item called the YODER LOOP that is designed to keep moisture from forming on the outside of the unit to keep it from rusting, this will be especially noticable in areas that is very warm like garages in the summer, if the coils on the back are clean and have good air circulation and temps are good inside the unit, then there is no reason to worry,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Chas replied 7 years ago.
If the temps inside the freezer are good then there is no reason to worry, Hot can be up to 115 degrees and still be okay,