Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Maytag Neptune model # XXXXX that had a bad drain

I have a Maytag Neptune model # XXXXX that had a bad drain pump (stuffed with 10 yrs of debris).

Bought a replacement pump, but the wiring connections are different. No indication which terminal is + or -. One is a T shapped and one is L shapped. The connections on my washer fit either way.

Which is the + and which is the -?

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

this will not matter on the machine, if you used part number 12001429 , this is an accessory kit that came out for the unit,

Part 774552

However this is also only a an AC motor and if you bought a 22003059 it should still operate, it does not matter which terminals go the pump... so either will work for you...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The pump will work no matter what direction it is rotating? The replacement pump I bought was the pump only. Never even saw the whole kit. What is the rigid 45 degree pipe piece for?

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

the service kit has even more pieces in it that is shown if you go to www.repairclinic.com with that part number with the instructions included, Not all the pieces are used for every model, the instructions tell what to do. however the motor you have is a 120 volt AC motor and that is what this washer uses, it will only spin in one direction no matter which way you install the terminals on it... Ignore the + or - for this, if it will mount and you can get the terminals on it should work if you have 120 volts coming to the pump....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's funny I bought the pump from RepairClinic.com, and I swear that part never came up when I entered the washing machine model info. I've also been waiting for their repair guru (is it you?) to answer the same question for several days....
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

NO, I am not thier REAPIR GURU, I only worked for MAYTAG for many years and repaired more NEPTUNE washers than I care to tell anyone... If you put the model number for your unit at www.apwagner.com and type pump in the search it will show both pumps for your unit. Repair Clinic is a great place to purchase items and look at the pics, however they do not show diagrams to help,

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well I installed the pump while we were chatting and nothing sparked, melted or blew up when I plugged the machine in, so....here's to crossed fingers!

Thanks for the help and I hope you have a good day.

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Have a good day...

Chas