How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Whrlp Master Tech Your Own Question
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 9057
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Whrlp Master Tech is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a aeg microwave mcd1761e that i purchased in late 2007

Customer Question

i have a aeg microwave mcd1761e that i purchased in late 2007 from a local retailer at exactly 1 year of age i had to have a repair the capaciter was replaced i do believe. now 7 months on it appears to have the same fault. is this common with this model. can i replace this myself and is it an easy fix
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 years ago.

The capaicitor can fail for many reasons , serveral components can fail with an end result of not heating.

working on a Microwave that has 4,000 volts is very dangerous



Consumer Product Safety Commission
Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens
CPSC Document #5061
The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.


Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this doesn't really help me i wanted to know if this is a common fault with this model and if it was an easy fix i know how dangerous microwave ovens can be.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 years ago.

The reason I cannot answer that is due to I dont actually know what part is bad many things can make it not heat.

Working for an Appliance manufacture as I do ,I know even if it is a common fault if it is out of the warranty period , the Appliance manufacture will not cover it under warranty unless it was a safety issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for that the repair 7 months previous was a warranty i have any redress on this.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 years ago.

do you know what the repair warranty was from the servicer?

normally it is 90 days

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no sorry thought that once repaired i would at least get 2 years use out of this unit. what ever happened to quality in the appliance world my first microwave i purchased in the 80's lasted for 24 years and i only got rid then because it looked so old . thanks for your help.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 years ago.
we have become a disposable world Nothing is made to last anymore unless you build it your self.

Related Appliance Questions