Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

i have a aeg microwave mcd1761e that i purchased in late 2007

Customer Question

i have a aeg microwave mcd1761e that i purchased in late 2007 from a local retailer at exactly 1 year of age i had to have a repair the capaciter was replaced i do believe. now 7 months on it appears to have the same fault. is this common with this model. can i replace this myself and is it an easy fix
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 years ago.
Customer/p>

The capaicitor can fail for many reasons , serveral components can fail with an end result of not heating.

working on a Microwave that has 4,000 volts is very dangerous

Consumer Product Safety Commission
Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens
CPSC Document #5061
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

/!\ WARNING
ELECTROCUTION HAZARD
HIGH VOLTAGE

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this doesn't really help me i wanted to know if this is a common fault with this model and if it was an easy fix i know how dangerous microwave ovens can be.

The reason I cannot answer that is due to I dont actually know what part is bad many things can make it not heat.

Working for an Appliance manufacture as I do ,I know even if it is a common fault if it is out of the warranty period , the Appliance manufacture will not cover it under warranty unless it was a safety issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that the repair 7 months previous was a warranty repair.do i have any redress on this.

do you know what the repair warranty was from the servicer?

normally it is 90 days

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no sorry thought that once repaired i would at least get 2 years use out of this unit. what ever happened to quality in the appliance world my first microwave i purchased in the 80's lasted for 24 years and i only got rid then because it looked so old . thanks for your help.
we have become a disposable world Nothing is made to last anymore unless you build it your self.