Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

have a veg cooler for restrauant small. noticed frost build

Customer Question

have a veg cooler for restrauant small. noticed frost build up on low side line near compressor. it has been short cycling. Its an r12 unit. I put some gauges on it. The low side would pull down to 20 and kick off up to 40 and come back on. But the high side gauge would peg out to 350 when running.When it kicked off it would go down to 80 lbs. I tested for leaks with a sniffer found none. I cleaned the coils outside. The unit runs but doesn't cool very well. Can you stir me in the right direction on this. I use to do refridgeration years ago but I've forgotten most of what I need to know.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 7 years ago.
Customer/p>

if it is sucking down and shutting off on low pressure it sounds as if low on charge ,

But then with the high side that high sounds like a restriction !!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you just confirmed what I thought it was. Low charge or restriction. Tomorrow Im pulling off the panal on inside to see if its frozen. zbecause the fan is not putting out much air. Thanks for your help.

I thought about that with it frosting back to compressor.

And thank you very much!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
last thing I need to know. Like I mentioned earlier I use to do commerical refridgeration but Im rusty as hell at it now. I've forgotten alot of things I need to know. Guess that comes with age also. Losing your memory. I told you it was an R 12 unit. What kind of gauge readings should I be getting. On the low side and high. Also the differentual switch that controls when it kicks on and when it kicks off.What should that be set at? I have it set at kick on 40 degrees kick out at 30 degrees.

I run it around 35-36 on suction side.

Temp for fresh food 34-38 degrees