Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

I have a kenmore water softener. It is not shutting off the

Customer Question

I have a kenmore water softener. It is not shutting off the water has been running for a few hours. What do I neeed to do to stop it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It should have a bypass valve, it may be stuck in backflush mode. What is the model number.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Intellisoft420 seriesNNN-NN-NNNN
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
If you take off the top cover there is a timer motor for the backflush cycle, it may be stuck. The bypass valve is in the top back. If you pull it to the left you will bypass the softener until you can solve the problem. You can advance the motor by hand by turning the white part of the motor. If you go to BODY & COVER/MOTOR&documentId=P0606056&backToLink=Return to Sub Components list you can see the parts diagram.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is 10Pm here and I will have to wait until tomorrow to attempt the fix. I will keep this page open so I can respond tomorrow.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Answers were not helpful. I finally had to call the warranty service. Thanks but it did not help.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
It only helps if you follow the advice.