Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I have a GE dryer model number DBXR463EBOWW. It now has a strange

I have a GE dryer model number DBXR463EBOWW. It now has a strange smell and the wall plug-in is smelling hot also. Could you tell me what might be wrong? Thanks, Carl.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Johnston replied 5 years ago.
Does the dryer work fine other than the smell?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it dries fine but there does seem to be a little less lint in the filter
You probably just need to vaccum the inside out do you know how to take the unit apart?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it seems to be completely sealed up, lol. but i do have dryer vac attachments and i have already tried to clean it out as much as possible
Ok if you open the door under the lip for the top are screws.Remove them lift the top off.Then on the inside corners of the front are screws remove them.Lift the front slightly and rotate it to the left.There are wires attached to the front try not to disconnect them.You should be able to clean it through the front.Unplug the unit first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i will try that
Ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there seems to be very little lint in that area
Can you see the motor to the left?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can barely see it under the drum
Is it covered in lint?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

doesnt seem to be from what i can see. do i need to take the side off?

No the only way to get to the motor is take out the drum.Clean out what you can.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, ill try
Ok take a flashlight if you have one and have a look.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is a knockout panel in the lower side so i knocked it out and the motor looks really good
Ok put it back togather and check the vent at the back make sure it is not full of lint.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the vent out the back of dryer or the one going thru the floor?
Turn on the dryer and go outside to where it vents is there strong air flow?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there was when i first started having problems. i took the exhaust vent off and the flow was very strong coming out of dryer
Can you describe the smell?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not really a hot smell but a strange one. then when the plug started getting hot you could smell plastic
You say the unit operates fine.So i don't think the problem is with the dryer.The receptacle may be waring out.If you shut off the breaker you can have a look at the receptacle.
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 years experience