Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106.74964400 that was boought 4 years

I have a Kenmore Coldspot 106.74964400 that was boought 4 years ago. The refrigerator suddenly is not getting cold but the freezer is working. There is heat around the the top freezer unit door. The ice maker (the fan and the coil) is working but there's no water coming in. The water dispenser works but the water coming out is not cold.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
let me look up your model, i'll be back,Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer? do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from behind the refrigerator? let me know thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i already opened the back panel inside the freezer section and the coils are cold and a lot of moisture. the fan on both the refrigeration unit and the icemaker fan intermittently works when switched to max but not when the switch is in normal. there is no clicking or buzzing coming from behind the refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
which switch are you refering to the cold control?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the icemaker switch
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok that is the fan for quick ice making,Part 827282thats normal, the fan is only suppose to run in the max position, when you had the back panel off was there frost on the coils, even frost on all the coils? the one thing i need you to check is the ice shute door where your ice comes through the door. is it shutting tightly? let me know, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it does not have an external ice dispenser. it's inside the freezer and it drops in a plastic container.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , was there an even frost pattern on the coils when you had it appart?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it's even. the freezer looks like it's working absolutely fine. it is the bottom refrigerator that is not getting cold.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
alright, the fan that blows the cold air down to the refrigerator is that running? its definatly an air flow problem. make sure your vent that the air flows throgh is not clogged up with frost or ice. also check the return vents. the air flows down part# XXXXX on this diagram then returns through the vents make sure they are clear. let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i already did that when i took the back panel (#16 from your diagram), the fan works and it blows cold air. it does not make sense to me because the freezer is freezing cold. i will re-check the vents again to make sure it is not clogged. i will be right back. is that the only thing that makes the fridge cold? coming from the return vents?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nothing is clogging the vents. there's air going through the fridge from the return vents, but it's not cold enough. is that air going through those vents the only thing that makes the refrigerator cold?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes all your cold comes from the freezer section, do you have a thermometer to check the freezer temp.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i've tried every effort to fix it and i am so puzzled why there's very cold air coming from the freezer to the fridge through the vents, but the fridge does not get cold. i totally don't get it! aargh!!!

anyway, thank you for all your help. it might not be my day coz i cant even find the green accept to finalize this transaction. do you happen to know where i can see the accept?

thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok one more thing you need to check I didnt think of, make sure your light in the refrigerator section is not staying on when the door is shut. this will cause the fresh food section to get warm, if you need to remove the light bulb overnight and see it it gets cold then, thats about the only thing left, thanks,Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.