Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a G.E. side by side refrigerator. Model #GSS25WGSAW

Customer Question

I have a G.E. side by side refrigerator. Model #GSS25WGSAW SER. FHH34051. Problem is in the ice dispenser. No ice being dispensed and no ice in storage bin. I correct the last statement and say very little ice in storage bin. I noticed that the rod running under to storage bin with the Spring Deflector int. attached is on the rod but but connected to the rod, meaning that the bent part of the spring which goes over the rod will not stay attached or bent over the rod. Other end of the spring is not attached at all. Could this be cause of problem; very little ice and nothing dispensed.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Im having difficulties envisioning just what you are refering to as far as the rod/spring assembly goes.

Is there any chance you could take a digital picture of it so that I can see what you see? I can provide instructions for you to upload the pisture to our servers here at JA.

Thank you.

FYI, I do have a service manual for your unit but the graphics in it suck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I realized that my description might be a bit fuzzy. I am not equpped to send photo. Will try and explain, hopefully better. This rod runs from the opening (gate) that will either close the opening to let ice out, to the rear going into slot in back of freezer. This rod is located on outside of ice bin. The spring connect to the rod and other end is free. hope this is better, but afraid it probably getting more fuzzy.

Ok that rod will not affect the ice maker. I have one GE ice maker service manual. If you will confirm that the picture below is the same oine I will upload it for your retrival.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No that is not the same unit that I have. While I was browzing thru the google list and instructions, where I finally was led to you, there was a very good phot of the unit I have and the breakdown of parts. That is where is got the name "Spring Deflector int. , Part #AP4297422

Could you please post the url to that webpage. I have other ice maker manuals but they are strictly visual as far as a model number and manufacturer. If I have a picture of it I can get you the manual.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you get the model # XXXXX is first submitted? To do your last request is going to take awhile. First I have to backtrack and dig around to see if I can come up with that photo of the ice maker and all its parts well shown. I will have to drop off and see what I can find

Ok what I will do is opt out of your question. This will open the question up to other experrts to jump in and answer.

If you find the url just post it and I will see it come up in the list.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the meantime what do I do?

if you like go ahead and log off. An email will be sent to you when you recieve a reply.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
hi this is Bryan, I believe the rod you are refering to is the crushed ice/cubed ice rod. this runs under the ice bucket to the back of the freezer and changes the crushed to cubed, I believe this is a picture of it. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= this however doesnt have anything to do with the ice maker making ice though, you may have two problems. let me know if this is the spring and rod you are refering to. thanks ,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
BRYAN: THAT IS THE CORRECT PICTURE. Shouldn't the spring be connected on both ends? Everytime I put the curled (hook) end over the rod, since the other end is not connected to anything the curled end comes off of the rod.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes this should not come of the rod as far as i know, let me find another picture and get a different view, I'll be back, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The URL that I got my information from is www.appliancepartspro.com
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok on this diagram part # XXXXX is the spring retainer, is this in place or is the spring broken?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The spring is on the rod, but wil not stay attached. That is the end that curls over the rod. The other end os abpit 1/2 einch long and is straight. When the rod turns, there is no tension on the spring and the curled end comes off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok try winding the spring around one turn and put it back on see if that stays.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just put the spring over the rod, and there is no tension on it at all. When i turn the rod the spring just hangs loose.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok it sounds like the auger assembly may be broken inside where the rod connects inside the ice bin. how much can you turn the rod? this is not supposed to turn all the way around.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can;t turn the rod except just enought the move the cover where the ice comes out. Just about 1/2 inch.
But, as I said before there is no tension on the spring, the rod just works from the spring on the ice chute cover.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I just took a picture of an ice auger assembly but need to resize it before I can send it, I'll get back to you soon, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. and when I get it what will it tell me. Another question I have. The end of the rod that goes into the freezer, what does that attach to or does it just go into the slot?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the rod goes into the slot and the there is a soleniod that it goes into a plastic piece that pulls it down or up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I got to call it quits for now. whats next
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'll get this picture for you and you see if your spring is like it is in the picture , maybe that will help, you can get back to me tommorow, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is your spring on like the picture above? let me know,thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan: that is the spring. However, the piece that connects to the plastic (on mine) is straight. Looks like the end that connects or hooks to the plastic piece is broken off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to replace the spring, I've seen these break before, I had a feeling thats why it didnt have any tention. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=heres where you can order it http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-GSS25WGSAW+-%3d%3dmi1257005&PartID=1257005 thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan: Ah So. Now that spring should not affect the ice making capacity, right? After having the bin out for hours and then putting it back and waiting all night, there are no cubes in the bin this morning. Any ideas. I Still have the water available when i push water button,
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
that correct. sorry I had to go out, we need to find the problem with the ice maker now. check to see if the tube inside the freezer that puts water into the ice maker isnt frozen, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan: After i removed to tray on top of the ice bin I could see an ice cube stuck to one on the ice cube separators, it was frozen in the partially open position. Once i melted it and put ice bin back in place, not I'm waiting to see if any cubes are made. Will keep you informed.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
alright thats probably going to work now, common problem, let me know thankls Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Bryan: Seems like I'm back in business soon as I get the spring for the rod. Thanks for all your patience and professional know-how.
Bill
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem Bill, thanks Bryan