Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an g.e. refrigerator modle#GSS20ETAWW it will not defrost

I have an g.e. refrigerator modle#GSS20ETAWW it will not defrost if you defrost manually it freezes back up in a few days. I beleive it is the defrost heater how do i check to be sure.
Submitted: 7 years ago via PartStore.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
more than likely it is the defrost heater, G.E. has re designed these heaters to a dual heater assembly, Defrost Heating Element part # XXXXX ,$27.90 - Click Image to Closethey were failing because there was only one tube in the heater, you need to remove the back panel in the freezer and the heater will be at the bottom under the coils, check it for continuity , if no continuity then its bad. you can order one online @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4 for around $28.00. let me know if its bad, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The refrigerator belongs to a friend of mine. I will be able to check it later this eve.one more question if its not the heater would the thermostat be suspect. also ive been in texas for two years its great to hear frome some one in the home state. thank you very much.