Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have 15 year old Amana 27 side by side. The freezer seems

Customer Question

I have 15 year old Amana 27 side by side. The freezer seems to be working perfectly, making ice and keeping everything cold, but the refrigerator is set on the coldest temperature but varies between either being 35 or 42 degrees. We just cleaned the coils. What else can i try.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok can tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section look real good behind the food? also is the center strip in between the doors hot? let me know, also a model # XXXXX help, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX I checked behind all the food in the freezer and there was no ice or frost, completely dry but cold. The divider between the two compartments (from the back of the compartments to the opening) is cold, when you get to the last 1-2 inches near the opening, it seems to be more like room temperature.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

is the fan in the freezer running? can you feel air comming into the fresh food section. let me know,thanks,Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can't tell, I don't hear anything. Where is the fan?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok sorry I had to step out, the fan is behind the panel in the back of the freezer. you need to remove the panel inside the freezer in the back to get to the fan. take the panel off and check the fan , I'll try to look up diagrams for you, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the freezer again and the ran WAS running.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , you need to check the vents and returns on this. is there allot of cold air comming through the vent into fresh food compartment? if the fan is running and the freezer is really cold it has to be either an air flow problem or you light inside the fresh food side isnt turning off when you close the door, check these things and get back to me, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll check.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked the fresh food side and found 2 air ducts, one adjustable air flow to the fresh food bin and one on to the milk on the door. Am I correct in assuming that there is also one inside the control box? I'll have to open that up tonight.

I pressed the door switch for the light and it went out, I'll let the refrigerator cool the bulb then touch it when i open the door just to make sure it was out.

Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
this it help Bryan till me gets back ,,, freezer working fine but fridge is warm ,, right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think I figured out that the problem is with a store bought thermometer which was on the top shelf. When i moved it down it seems to be much colder. Also the milk is freezing.

Thank Byran for all the help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the accept button?
its here
thanks

accept for Bryan if possable / thanks Larry
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX offline last night due to power outage, glad to see you have it figured out, get back to me if you need more help, thanks,Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.