Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Model lnc6760b71 washing machine It would hum at one time.

Model lnc6760b71 washing machine

It would hum at one time. Now it does nothing. It will fill with water but nothing else.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the most likely reason for this is the lid switch, # XXXXX in this diagram, these go all the time and the machine wont run if its bad, it will fill but then just sit there,heres a picture of the switch, Part 1456 check this and let me know, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After I played with it. How it hums but it does not spin or do anything else.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok tip the machine up and look undreneath and see if the belt is loose or broken, let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The belt is not broken. It is still tight.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is the hum comming from the motor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can't tell. It maybe.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
alright . take the belt off and try starting it, see if the motor turns.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the easiest way to get the belt off??
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
just roll it off the pully's then if you can keep the machine tipped back turn it on put it in spin and try spinning the motor by hand see if it starts, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am trying to do this long distance. It is really my daughter in South Carolina. Are you saying that if she tilts the machine backwards that the belt is accessible to try and get if off the pulley?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes, thats right. if its full of water though this may be tough, she may need to get the water out first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Let me ask you one more question and I wil let you go. If the motor spins without a problem, What is the likely problem with it not spinning or agitating? Is there a gear box or something that could be broken?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
that could be an issue but it seems more likely the motor is bad and not starting, for the transmission to be bad it would ussually not spin or not adgitate, one or the other, not both. hope this helps Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.