Randy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25 years of overall experience: Owner and technician of own appliance repair business.

With electric new dryer (Elba) can I use a range cord and

With electric new dryer (Elba) can I use a range cord and plug???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I am here to assist you. First may I ask why you want to use a range cord on a dryer? Also do you have a model number of your unit?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a plug which I have used for 20 years with an electric dryer and have just bought an Elba dryer which is listed under Fisher and Paykel but is made by GE. A range plug (220 three straight prongs) is supposed to be stronger than a dryer plug (three prongs with one being an L shape) So I never had a problem all these years but dryers have a diferent cord tht is bought independantly (not include) I would rather not spend the time or money to change if it is not necessary for safety etc.
Expert:  Randy replied 7 years ago.
No, actually the range cord is rated for higher amps than a dryer cord. Range cord is rated for up to 50 amps and a dryer cord is rated for up to 30 amps. In short to answer your question yes you can use a range cord on a dryer but it is not advisable to use a dryer cord on a range. Go ahead and hood up the range cord. P.S. I use a range cord on the dryers I test in my shop that way I don't have to have 2 seperate outlets.