Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

my ge side by side refrig makes a loud humming/whistling noise

Customer Question

my ge side by side refrig makes a loud humming/whistling noise after having the freezer open for more than 30 seconds. the noise starts the next time the compressor kicks on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 5 years ago.
open the freezer door and push in on the light switch and tell me if you hear it inside the freezer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its not making it now, but it sounds more like from the back of the refrig

is it making noise now
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, it takes a little while after you close the freezer before it starts
does it do it every time you close the door and how long has it been doing this
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, if you aren't in the freezer for very long it usually won't happen. but if you are in there for very long when you are done it will start to make the noise after a while. the noise has been happening off and on for a year or so. the fridge is 4 yrs old. it just started making the noise it sounds like maybe from the blower
when the last time you cleaned the condenser coils
you need to remove the back panel and clean the coils and that should fix this ,,, its working harder than normal cycling back down
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have cleaned the coils before and the noise still persists
is it doing it again now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

is it coming from inside the freezer or behind the unit
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
inside
listen back by the fan ,, i bet thats where the noise is coming from and let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds like the blower inside the freezer
i thought so ,,, it didnt do this before you had the door open for a while did it?
you still with me