Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line

My Insinkerator 77 has sprung a leak where the discharge tube

My Insinkerator 77 has sprung a leak where the discharge tube fits to the side of the unit. How to fix?

On the Elbow of the discharge tube you have a thick rubber gasket, I don`t think it need replaced just repositioned , Look at that first if not you could use a 1/4 inch diameter cord of plumbers putty to seal it .unless you have a hole in the disposal itself.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
as yet. If the gasket is partially perished, should I remove it entirely and substitute a rope of plumers putty, or add the rope?
if partially broken ,substitue with putty ,that way if the rest perishes you won`t have to do it over again .