Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have 5 yr old whirpool refrigerator, side by side, ice bin

I have 5 yr old whirpool refrigerator, side by side, ice bin inthe door. It is not cooling at all. the compressor is very hot to the touch.

Model GD5shaxlb02
the first thing to check is to see if the condensor fan next to the compressor is running, Part 2790also these have bad compressor relays in the is the compressor relay clicking or buzzing, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bryan,

The fan is running and the compressor relay clicks every couple minute. How warm does the compressor get when operating normally?

Are the start device and realy the same thing?

Start device kit part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN
yes the start device and relay is the same thing, also the compressor does run hot to the touch but the relay shouldnt be clicking every five minutes, you need to change the start device and also get a coil bush from lowes and clean the coils under the refrigerator real good this will help the compressor keep cool. and yes the start device #(NNN) NNN-NNNNis correct, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you wont need all of these parts in this kit though ,this kit come with different relays for different compressors. you can get this kit @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=75 for around $36.00, hope this helps thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Bryan,

I'll replace the the start device and clean the coil like I should have been doing every couple of months.

Ted
ok let me know if you have any further questions , thanks Bryan