Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE fridge model # XXXXX is running continuosly and

My GE fridge model # XXXXX is running continuosly and the freezer is not as cold as it should be. I have emptied it and unplugged it for a few days to hope it would reset, but when I plug it back in it is doing the same thing.

I do not see the defrost glow as described in other troubleshooting areas, so I don't think that it is stuck on defrost, although I may be wrong.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello on the back panel in the freezer section do you see frost?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, there is no frost at all
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Hi , this is Bryan, you most likely have a bad mother board(control board) in this, Main Control Board part# XXXXX $ 113.12 - Click Image to Closethese go all the time. pull the refrigerator away from the wall and you will see a cover on the back remove the screws and you will see the board. unplug the refrigerator and remove the board and check the back side of it for burned solder connections, even if you dont see one(sometimes you dont) the board is probably bad. you can get this @ http://midwayparts.net/midwayparts/zen-cart-v1.3.8a-full-fileset-12112007/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8 its the cheapest I can find around. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if the motherboard is bad the fridge will continue to work, just not correctly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a way to use a volt meter to test this to confirm?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you need to pull the back panel inside the freezer section and checfk the frost pattern if there is one, if theres no frost on the coils then you need to check for power to the compressor, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can hear the compressor running and fridge and freezer are cold. The unit just does not stop running and it takes along time to generate any ice. I meant was there anything to test on the mother board to confirm it is bad.

Thanks,

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

theres really no way of testing the board itself but from what your saying it sounds like the board is good, I know its a pain but the best way to tell if the compressor is running right is to check the frost pattern on the coils behind the panel in the freezer section, if theres an even frosting on all the coils you have another problem, is the fan in the freezer running ? is it going up and down like its slowing down and sopeeding up? let me know, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fan in the freezer is running. It only stops when I open the door. If I push the tab in that would simulate the door being closed it begins running again.

The fan sounds like it runs at a steady speed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To check the compressor frost patterns do I need to go through the freezer or take the back off the fridge from the outside?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no, just open the freezer and there is a panel in the back (inside freezer) that has 1/4" screws usually holding it on .take the screws out and remove the panel you will then see the silver coils ,these are the evaporater coils, these should have an even frosting on all the coils, as far as the fan goes does it sound like its running steady or does it go up and down in speed? let me know. thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the back off and didn't really see any visible frost on the coils. Should I leave the freezer closed for a bit to see if they frost up since I had the doors open for a few minutes while I took the back off?

The fan sounds like it is running at a steady pace.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Apparrently there was some front on the coils. When I looked at them a minute ago I could see where there was some water dripping off the bottom. Like I said I did have the freezer doo open for maybe 10 minutes.

Should I wait for a while and inspect later?

Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry , was eating dinner, yeh give it about an hour and see what the frost pattern looks like then, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I need to go out , let me know what its doing and I'll check in the morning, I'll have time in the morning to stay on with you and see if we can find the problem, thanks ,Bryan p.s. after you check the frost pattern put the back panel back on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Frost pattern looks consistent top to bottom. Fan is steady.

Can I call you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
we are not allowed to give out our #s sorry, one thing I forgot to ask you to check is to make sure the lights inside are going off when youi shut the doors. peek inside as you shut the doors and see if the light goes out, if the light is staying on thats your problem. if your not sure if there going out take the bulbs out and let it run overnight and see how the temps. are in the morning, also check your door gaskets and the ice shute to make sure its not staying open let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lights do go off when I depress the tab to turn off the light when the door closes. I'll confirm that though and check the ice chute.

The compressor has a different hum to it than normal and runs all the time. How can I tell if it is in defrost mode ot something like that.

By the way, if we get this fixed I will include a bonus. I do appreciate your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well if the frost pattern is good all the way down the coils and not clogged with frost(meaning to much frost) its only supposed to have a light frosting on the coils then its not a defrost problem. how do you mean the compressor sounds different? are you sure its not the fan in the back of the refrigerator thats cools the compressor isnt the part that sounds different? there is a round coil assembly on the left side where the compressor is in the back and in the middle of this coil setup is a fan, its called the condensor fan ,is this whinning up and down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MAybe it is the fan. The fan is steady with no whine up or down.

I'll take off the back of the fridge and look.

The hum is just louder than it has been before but also the fan in the freezer is blowing all the time so that may be it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you have a thermometer you can put in the freezer and then in the fresh food section and tell me what the temps are? also make sure your coils are clean and not covered in dust.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Vacuumed them off when I noticed the food in the freezer wasn't frozen solid. I'll get a thermometer and let you know.

Thanks,
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I have a bad feeling about the board , I think you have a bad board with an intermitent problem, I hate to say it but I think you need a board, theres no way to test it other than checking the frost pattern and the fans if they seem ok you probably need the board. let me know the temps. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So the board can be bad and the fridge will still function, just not as well as it should?

I may have to go buy a thermometer. I'm checking.

Thanks,
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes , it can , let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fridge temps

Fridge 40 degrees
Freezer top is 31 degrees
Freezer bottom is 21 degrees
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry worked all day today. your freezer shoild be between 0-10 degrees thats way off. fresh food should be around 36-38 if you like it cold but 40 isnt real bad though. I think maybe you should try changing the temp. sensor, before anything else its the cheapest, Part 914093there about $7.00 each and I think changing this in the freezer may help. see diagram .
WR55X10025 is the part # XXXXX sears. part # XXXXX on the diagram this may help if it doesnt you will need a board, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Working all day is good. A lot of people can't say the same.

I'll order the sensors and see what happens. One question, if I need more answers and want to kick in more $$ later how do I do that?

I'm ready to hit accept, but don't want to if our connection is cut after that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you can hit accept and just leave the question open and come back and I'll help you more if you need me, I really hope the sensors take care of it though, I've seen this happen before and hope thats all it is. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.