Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Matag washer model A608 that is about 31 years old.

I have a Matag washer model A608 that is about 31 years old. Currently the the discharge water pump is not functioning. When it is engaged, it wines loudly (without pumping), then pauses for a bit; then repeats this. I've been interrupting this by lifting the lid; waiting for a while, closing the lid and hoping it will work. For a while this has been a stop gap procedure that worked. But now this won't work.
#1: to better understand what may be wrong, where can I get an electrical schematic for this model?
#2: currently I suspect a bad motor, & the thermal cutoff is stopping (saving?) the motor. When it cools off enough, it tries again. (I don't want to burn out the motor!)
#3: if the motor is controlled by a contactor, could there be a "worn / bad" contacts that's being too resistive for the current to the motor, causing the current symptoms? If so, can I clean / file these contacts for better performance?
#4: currently I hope that the water pump itself may not be binding?
Ed
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
great washer! love them. anyway tip the machine back and on the right front conner is the pump pully remove the belt ,(just roll it off) and turn the pump by hand to see if its free. more than likely you have something in the pump.Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=also you will find two screws on the bottom front of the machine remove these and pull the front panel out from the bottom to remove it. you will be able to see the inside of the pump then. let me know if there are any obstructions, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Picture
a1speedyappliance
Thank you for your answer. However, it was a good start, & it was the tip of the iceberg. I was able to remove the water pump drive belt (despite it's age, it was not cracked & I even treated it with an old "Cling-Surface" Fan & V-Belt Dressing for better grip), & the pump did, manually rotate freely by pulling on the belt. It looked encouraging. The washer was stuck at the final rinse pump-out part of the cycle, and after doing what you recommended, it worked !! I was really encouraged.
The true test was doing a 2nd load of laundry. My wife put in a 2nd load, & it AGITATED untill it had to pump out the wash water, & the very same problem occured again! ??? The machine would NOT pump out the water? Very confusing, because the same motor that does the agitating also pumps out the water !!?
I discovered that the tub rotation / agitation was difficult, & I assumed that the bottom support bearing was a sealed bearing. [ Tip for you >] I lifted the rubber cover seal with a screwdriver to access this bearing; & then dribbled some SAE 90 WT oil onto the shaft to see what would happen; &, LO, it went down, into the bearing !"
Over several hours, I kept slowly, loubing this shaft / bearing w oil (I didn't want it to leak out the bottom?, onto the tub drive belt / floor; which, so far I have not seen), & manually moving the tub to work the oil into the bearing. The tub / agitator rotates MUCH MORE easily now, but I still have then SAME, #$%&^@, problem !! ?? When it needs to pump out water, the motor grinds, & nothing happens!!
How can the same motor work the agitation phase, but not the water pump-out phase ???
I've got to go now; thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , now I know whats wrong , your spin bearing is Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=bad. when the bearing gets hot it exspands and wont let the tub spin, you need to change the bearing, this is a little difficult but if you buy the spanner wrench when you get the bearing you should be able to do this. the problem is you will probably have to replace the tub seal at the same time ,Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=wish I had better news. its recomended so it wont leak, these parts will run you about $130.00 for the both plus the spanner wrench, also I would still replace the belts even though they look good there probably streched, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.