Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

dyer has power but always tripping when it is using

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
can you tell me make and model#? is this triping the breaker? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the make is Maytag. Model # XXXXX XXXXX After the dryer works for a while, it trips the breaker.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok so it runs for awhile then trips the breaker. does it start right up again right after you reset the breaker or do you have to wait awhile after reseting it.? sounds like you may have a bad motor in this. Part 776953 this motor is around $128.00 if it tripped right away i would tend to think it was a heating element shorting out which is common on these. though that may still be the case , do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity? let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it works perfectly for a while, but after a while, it trips the circuit breaker. on the circuit board, the circuit for the dryer is a double circuit breaker. when the dryer trips, only one side of the circuit breaker trips. so there is still power in the dryer for the light in the dryer to be on but not enough power to run the motor. if you reset the circuit breaker that tripped, you can start the dryer again and it works smoothly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok you may have a weak breaker. I've seen this before, do you know how to change the breaker? that will probably take care of it. breakers can get weak and trip easier than normaly say you have a 30 amp breaker it may be tripping at 20 amp draw because it wont hold in. try changing the breaker before tearing into the dryer. if that doesnt work your motor may be drawing to many amps when the motor gets hot and has run for awhile.let me know thanks, Bryan