Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Spacemaker microwave. Model - JVM1642BB. Serial

I have a GE Spacemaker microwave. Model - JVM1642BB.   Serial - TV935112S. Made in 10/99
Everything seams to work but dont heat up the food. I would like some help fiing this since I am retired and cant afford a new one right now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Hi Richard

First of all I have to tell you that there are components in your microwave which store a lethal charge even when unplugged.
Several people die every year from trying to fix their microwave.
Are you sure you are confident to try this job?
I am not trying to scare you, just telling you the truth.

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Rob,
Thanks for being truthfull about this problem. But I am sure I (we) can do this. I just think when its my time to go, then I go.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Gulp !

OK, when its set up to work, is there a loud humming noise?
Does the interior light work?
Do all the other controls appear to work normally?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no humming noise
yes the light works and everything else seams to work just fine
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Hi
Im sorry, ive just been called away, so will opt out.
Someone else should pick this up.
Please be carefull !

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
dear sir, Rob is correct about this being very dangerous to work on , do you have any training in electrical or electronics? do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity? let me know ,thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have some basic knowlege in electronics and I do know how to work on house electrical. yes i have a volt meter. I need a refresher on continuity. But most of all I cant aford to take it to someone else.
Since I am retired and cant afford to take it to a shop. So thats why I am here asking for your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I understand, well the first thing you need to check is your door switches. you have to open the panel and you will see three or four safety door switches, check for continuity when the door is shut, Part 253819two or three of these will have continuity and one wont , the one that dosnt is for the light and will have continuity with the door open. set your meter to ohms and see if the reading goes up when you touch the two contacts. make sure the microwave is unplugged, and dont get your hands inside the cabinet you could get a deadly shock. just with your probes touch the switches. let me know if the switches are good, if they are you probably need a magnetron, this alone is $135.00 and this is a dangerous part to be playing with. please if the door switches check out consider a new microwave, there only about $200.00 new. nowdays, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.