Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

our amana model bb20vips bottm freezer just stopped working.we

our amana model bb20vips bottm freezer just stopped working.we thought the bulb was bad,but it turns out it is something else.the outlet is fine.any ideas where to start/
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
are ther no lights at all on when you open the door? let me check your model, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no lights in the upper fridge,or the bottom freezer
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

ok , you checked the outlet and you have power right? I would pull the refrigerator out away from the wall and take the rear bottom cover off (cardboard) on most. and check for burned wires or a loose plug, trace the power cord into back of refrigerator and see if the plugs are tight. also look for wires that may be fraid or chewed.(sometimes a mouse will get into the house and chew the wires) let me know thanks . Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nothing looks out of line that way.However,interestingly the fan at the bottom that looks like it would blow over some of the copper spins for a second and then stops when i plug it back in.This is repeatable.It's a 5"or so fan and I think this means I am getting power into the refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes you must be getting power, ok lets go another route, is there any fans running inside the freezer? I still feel like you have a loose connection somewhere in the back or a bad wire, do you have a wooden yardstick or a wooden spoon long enough to move the wires a bit while its plugged in? dont want you to get shocked. if you do plug the refrigerator back in and move the wirring around and see if anything comes on or tries to start. let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Everything still seems to be solid.I poked around with a wooden spoon.there were some noises that I heard when I wasen't touching it.---Wait,it just started on it's own.

Is there some sort of self resetting circuit breaker in this unit?The lights are on also.

This happened as I was typing--not poking around.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you may have move the wires enough to start the timer running again and it came out of defrost while you were typing, this has a timer in it for the defrost cycle but it shouldnt affect the lights though. I still think theres a loose connection in the back somewhere but let it run and see what happens, if it stops again and doesnt come back on then theres something loose, this goes into defrost and shuts down every 8 hour or so and stays off for about 35 minutes to an hour. then should come back on. let me know thanks,Bryan, p.s. you can press accept now and still come back if you leave the question open at no additional charge. also put the back cover on. thanks. Bryan