Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Dryer Model #DBSR463EG1WW that wont start. Power

Customer Question

I have a GE Dryer Model #DBSR463EG1WW that won't start. Power is good to the unit and don't see any burns or such around any of the switches. when we turn the springloaded start switch nothing happens. Door switch seems to work fine because it turns the light on and off when depressed. any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
wheres your lint trap located at?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
bottom inside of the door
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

ok do this

First remove top cabinet panel by removing two small screws under door recess; then swing up lid and remove from hinged area at the rear. Once top panel is removed, remove the front panel and door assembly by removing two attach screws securing front panel to dryer cabinet. Swing the front panel down and remove from two base hinge points then look on the blower housing for a round disc with 2 wires going to it let me know when you see this

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the way be right back to you
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see three wires coming out above the blower housing, one goes to the switch and the other two go behind a plastic housing up toward the door hinge side
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

do you see this on top of the blower housing

Part 276438

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
something similar but the round part has two composite "ears" on each end that are part of the piece and there are four wires attached
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
how many components are on top of that housing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this one is all there is and it is actuall at about the 2 o'clock position on the housing and has a round flat piece showing through to the inside of the housing similar to the one you sent the picture of
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
but theres 4 wires going to it right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just double checked 4 terminals of which on end one is a red wire with a splice coming off the wire to another terminal so two of the 4 terminals are connected to the same red source and then there is a white wire and a black with white stripe wire
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
do you have a meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
ok set it on ohms reading about 200 and mark each wire so you can remember where the went and ohm out the component across from one another tell me what readings you get on both of them
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, maybe i am in over my head on the meters but here is what i have two meters, one needle over numbers and the other digital. the needle when i set the dial on RX10 reads 1.5 the digital one reads a .2 but sometimes a .3 Ω.

this is between the Red and White terminals .

when i do the other red terminal on the needle meter i get a 16 or 17 and on the digital a 8.95

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had to take it out of the dryer to get one of the wires off, that is what took so long but also have the number off of the part in case that helps with what I am looking at:

they are as follows:

first row HTR120V69T11

second row L135-10F 0724

third row 540B146P011

fourth row 326855T-O-D

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
do this for me while pushing in on the door switch have someone switch tis on while you spin the drum still holding on the door button
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
been out all day just got back, not sure of exactly what you want me to try (switch "tis")
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
i was suppose to be switch this on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Switch on the dryer or the door switch?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
both while spinning the drum dont let loose of the door button cause otherwise it wont work right
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK Back to you shortly
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nothing happened when we held the springloaded start switch on and pushed in the door shut off switch and spun the drum
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

can you test the start button switch

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

put tester on all three connection wires and hit switch on AC on tester and got nothing

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any place on the back of the control panel that i can check for power safely with the volt meter, i have not found a hot location yet although i know that the main power cables have full power
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
no what i meant was take the wires off the switch and test it that way
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got it and switch has continuity with wires off
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
push it in/out and see if the number change
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we have a spring loaded turning start switch

the test i did earlier showed that when we turned it on it made a connection (continuity) then i tested the guage marked on my tester ->|-- the reading i get with it on is .001 and the reading on the ohms with it on is .43 and both are 1000with it off and the 1 flashing on my meter.

probablynot much help

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Used my other meter and when we engage the switch it reads 2ohms
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi, this is Bryan, william has opted out . can you tell me if you belt is tight around the drum? these have a switch on the motor and if the belt came off or broke the machine wont start. its a safety , also I believe on this model the safety thermostat is on the back of the machine inside top right behind the drum, can you see if its there, the one william put a picture above of. ? Part let me know .thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have checked the belt and it is good but have not found the above switch yet will try to take the back off the dryer, have the front and top off and cannot see it yet

Took top control panel off and found the piece in the picture. i am unclear on how to test it

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
just remove the wires and test it the way william said to test the other one, check it for continuity, I'll be willing to bet its bad, if no continuity change the thermostat, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has continuity
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to check the motor switch , #803 on this diagram,
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=check for continuity when the switch is pushed in, let me know ,I'll be back later, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has continuity, by pushing the switch in are you referring to the start switch? I had continuity both ways
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no I was refering to the motor safety switch. you will need to remove the drum and get to the motor and on the pully arm down the bottom you will see a switch that is inline with the motor and it stops the machine if the belt breaks, check that switch. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

thanks for the help, through no fault of yours I have just run out of time to work on this and had to call in one of your local peers to fix it for me tomorrow. Work got too busy. I will still click on the accept button after the reply because you gave me such good concise instructions and I have little doubt that you could have helped me find the problem. Success to you and your business in Tennessee from Colorado.

Brad

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

good luck to you