Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a kenmore gas dryer model # XXXXX that has stopped

Customer Question

I have a kenmore gas dryer model # XXXXX that has stopped heating. It still tumbles but the timer control does not advance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 5 years ago.
Hello do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Ok do you have the front off?
Also do you see the igniter glowing or not?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm not sure....the igniter is at the back side of the burner assembly (facing the rear of the dryer)...would i be able to see any light anyway?
Well yes you need to remove the front panel then test the igniter the igniter should have continuity if not its bad if it does then the thermal fuse is bad these are the only two things that would stop the unit from heating unless the igniter glows if it does the booster coils the two round black things on the gas valve are bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is also a white wire that is loose in the burner assembly; i don't know where it goes or maybe it's just a ground wire?
Ok and you don't see a loose connection does the wire have a terminal on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes
Yes??
I see this question is still open do you have any more questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes...the white wire has a terminal.
Ok and you don't see a place on the burner assembly or motor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes...that is correct. The wire length is too short to reach to the motor as well.
Ok well it must go on the flame sensor the square box on the left of the burner tube.Are you in oregon?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO...Texas.
Ok just wondering got a good friend named S T.

On the flame sensor do you see a space that it can go on?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is a typicale gas burner assembly, do you see the white wire connected to the flame sensor on the side of the burner? this is probably where your white wire goes. Gas Dryer Gutslet me know thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the picture! However, there is already a blue wire plugged in to the radiant sensor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok but if theres no white wire connected to it , it has broken off and you need to replace the flame sensor, I've seen this allot, there should be two wires connected to the sensor. one of the terminals has broken off. thanks Bryan, p.s. you will probably see the male connector still in the white wire spade.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
drat....you are correct. I leap to the assumption that this is the cuase of my heating problem????
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
most definately,Part 2681you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-110.97581200+-%3d%3di2681&PartID=2681 for around $28.00, hope this helps, thanks,Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i appreciate all your help Bryan. I'll accept at this point!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thanks have a great day. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You too> Hope it's cooler out there than the 102 degrees we have here in Dallas!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
man thats hot! yeh a little cooler here, around 85. I couldnt take that heat. well wishes, Bryan