Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Our Kenmore Elite dryer worked fine. Then it would not start.

Our Kenmore Elite dryer worked fine. Then it would not start. The fuse is not blown, the light inside is on, the start button does nothing. Any ideas?
ok can you get me the model # ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok let me check some things on this, thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok Bryan
ok the first thing to check is the door switch, Part 3406make sure the little tab that comes down through the hole and the door pushes in isnt broken off it ths black part with the white tip. if this is miising when you open the door thats the problem, these break off and dont push the switch in. you may also have a bad switch if its still intact. do you have a volt meter? let know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'll check the switch, I don't have a volt meter
ok let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the black part is there, but it seems partially broken, loose. When I depress it manually the light goes out and the dryer starts. It doesn't seem to depress far enough when the door is shut. How do I replace this black piece?
thats what i thought. ok you need to open the top of the machine. heres a diagram of the front panel where the switch is, about three inches in from the side between the top and the front panel there are clips you need to push in to lift the top up. once you have the top up you will see the door switch. make sure you unplug the machine before doing this, the new switch should come with instuctions just follow them for replacement, click this link for replacement part. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sounds good. Can I push in on the clips you described with a putty knife? \

Also, can I get this part from a nearby Sears parts center? It's in Schaumburg IL.

you proabaly can but they will most likely need to order it, they dont carry to many parts but they may have this. and a putty knife (stiff one) should work fine. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just a little more help on opening the top. there is no resistance on the putty knife, about 3 inches in, anywhere across the top, except at the corners. Thoughts?
ok you may need to pop the control panel up on this one, try pushing in between the control panel and the top the clips in this diagram marked # XXXXX then tip the panel back and let it rest against the wall , then you may see three screws 1/4" across the back, remove them and slide top forward and off. let me know, thanks ,Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think that does it. I was able to get it open by tiping up the control panel. Thanks for the help.
no problem ,if you dont have anymore questions please press accept button, and you can still leave the question open and ask more later, thanks Bryan