Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag refig. with double doors and and the freezer

I have a Maytag refig. with double doors and and the freezer on the bottom. The freezer if getting frost on the edges. The doors all seem to be closing tightly. I did clean the lint from the fins on the bottom and the grill. What could be causing the frost?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
most of the time its getting air into the freezer via the door gaskets, check all the way around the gaskets for a seal thats not seated tightly, does your model have a drawer for the freezer? also can you get me the model # ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

MFC2061 i think.

I'm pretty sure it is not the door gaskets.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , I looked at your model and there is no ice and water dispenser in the door correct? if not its definitely a leak in a door gasket somewhere, the only thing that causes frost on the inside of the freezer is a leak from a gasket. when you have a leak it draws outside moist air from the house in and it condensates then freezes causing frost on the inside. the one thing you can try is take a hair dryer and warm the gasket all the way around the doors and soften them up to make them more pliable and they should seat better and fix the problem. it doesn't take much of a leak to cause your problem, trust me I've done allot of these and there is no other cause besides a leak. let me know, also when you do this make sure you wipe out all the condensation from the fresh food and the freezer sections and dry it with a towel, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is 5 years old. Could there be a fan problem or something with the defrost cycle? However the frost does appear to be near the door seals on the left side and top. Do you think a hair dryer will soften them enough to fix it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well its not going to be a defrost problem but what your saying is its near the door seals on the left side top and thats usually the drawer is not sealing properly, have you taken the drawer out for any reason lately? to clean or any reason? the tracks on these have to be set back in correctly to seal right. I just had the same issue with one of these about a month ago and found that the drawer wasnt down in the slots all the way and it wasnt shutting tightly, if its in the tracks right then the hair dryer along the side where the frost is will probably take care of it. when you heat the gaskets the will pull in more and thighten up the seals, the moister is acumulating near the leak for sure.try the hair dryer and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm not sure you got my last message. I said I think it was the basket in the freezer not being in the slots of the sliders on the freezer door that was holding the gasket away.

Well, thanks for the idea about what to check.