Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I have a Maytag dishwasher that trips the breaker after running

Customer Question

I have a Maytag dishwasher that trips the breaker after running about five minutes. It is about two years old, however, it was in the box in the garage for about a year before we brought it in the kitchen. It worked in the beginning then started the problem with tripping the breaker a few months ago. I had a appliance repair person come out and he ran some tests and said it was an electrical problem. I just had an electrican put in new wiring to the plug. The dishwasher started right up and he thought it was OK, and then he left. He said if still trips the breaker it is a problem with the dishwasher since he put in the new wiring. It worked about five minutes then tripped the breaker. I restarted it and it worked about three minutes before tripping the breaker again. I am not sure what to do now.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 7 years ago.

Is it a standard breaker that trips or is it a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter)? A GFCI has a reset button and a standard breaker has a lever.